Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tribute to HMAS SYDNEY I Mast Naval Monument

Tim

TRIBUTE TO HMAS SYDNEY I MAST NAVAL MONUMENT

The Royal Australian Navy (RAN) initiated what will become a Naval tradition today by announcing that all Australian and foreign naval vessels proceeding into Sydney Harbour will render ceremonial honours to the HMAS Sydney I Memorial Mast that is located at Bradley's Head.

The HMAS Sydney I Memorial Mast is considered to be one of Australia's premier naval monuments and a memorial of national significance. The Mast was removed from Sydney I when she was decommissioned in 1928 and erected at Bradley's Head in 1934. The ceremonial will represent a mark of respect and recognition of the Australian officers, sailors and ships lost at sea and in combat.

The announcement coincides with the 94th anniversary of the commissioning of HMAS Sydney I when she was bought into the service of the RAN at a ceremony at Portsmouth, England, on the 26th June 1913.

This has been an initiative of the Commander Australian Fleet, Rear Admiral Dayvd Thomas, AM, CSC RAN who said, "It is appropriate that in a regular and formal way we recognise our heritage and demonstrate a mark of respect for the sacrifices of naval personnel that have played such a significant part in shaping this nation, particularly those that have laid down their lives. It helps remind us where we come from."

The actual ceremonial conducted by the ships will consist of bringing the ship's company on the upperdecks to attention, and then 'piping' the Mast. 'Piping' is the prolonged sounding of the Boatswain's call, a special Naval whistle, that was once the only method other than the human voice of passing orders to men on board ship. Today more sophisticated communications systems exist but the Boatswain's Call is still used in ceremonial as a mark of respect and for emphasising important orders.

And rightly so!

If only more folk who sail on Sydney Harbour knew what the 'tall grey thing on Bradley's Head' was, they might pay it some more respect.

Sydney was the victor in Australia's first major Naval engagement in WWI when she accounted for the SMS Emden at Cocos Island, soon after the first Australian to die in combat in WWI, an Able Seaman on land with a rifle, whilst capturing German possesions in the South Pacific... long before most historians start the story of Australia in combat during the war...

Now off my soapbox! :rolleyes:

Dave