Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant John Patrick BRADLEY, RNR

Ed Matthews

I'm presently researching Lieutenant John Patrick BRADLEY, RNR, who, according to his service record, was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) in 1917. I've found a brief mention in The Times for January 1918 which states that his award was presented to him by the King but I've had no luck locating any notification in the London Gazette. I'd be particularly interested in the circumstances of his award although I appreciate citations are not always available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Ed

I'm presently researching Lieutenant John Patrick BRADLEY, RNR, who, according to his service record, was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) in 1917. I've found a brief mention in The Times for January 1918 which states that his award was presented to him by the King but I've had no luck locating any notification in the London Gazette. I'd be particularly interested in the circumstances of his award although I appreciate citations are not always available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Ed

Hello Ed, the following from 'The Distinguished Service-Cross 1901-1938' W.H.Fevyer.

Lieut. J.P. Bradley, RNR, HMS "Firefly". For coolness under fire on all occasions, Lieut. Bradley did very good work by personally taking the captured Turkish steamer "Basra" down the river laden with enemy wounded.

(The Tigris, December 1916 to March 1917. LG 21.9.1917 pp 9819/22) LG 21.9.1917 p 9823.

Regards John

Ed, follows details re Lt. Bradley DSC ;

ADM 171 / 81

BRADLEY John P Lt. RNR 81L045 Tarantula C in C East Indies 21.09.17

Gaz In Mesopotamia Operations of H.M. Gunboats Dec. 1916 to March 1917 DSC

For coolness under fire on all occasions. Lieutenant Bradley did very good work by personally taking the captured the Turkish steamer Basra down the river laden with enemy wounded.

From ; Recommendations, Honours & Awards RN RNR etc.

KOKO Sadsac

Ed, futher to your Lt. Bradley, follows a Recommendation that he received -

no gong awarded `only' Special Mention ;

ADM 171 / 81

BRADLEY John P Lt. RNR 81L057 Tarantula C in C Mesopotamia 15.08.17

G(M) In Mesopotamia 1917

Services brought to notice as deserving of special mention.

Note ; he is noted as being HMS TARANTULA, as in DSC award.

So FIREFLY / TARANTULA ????

All best Sadsac

John, Sadsac

Many thanks for the information. The full despatch in the London Gazette makes for fascinating reading! I did note another reference in his service record to 'Good Service' immediately above that of the DSC award - thank you for confirming this too.

Best wishes

Ed

Ed, from Honours & Awards Army, N. Air Force, J B Hayward

DSC List ;

John P Bradley Lt RNR 21 Sept 1917

Rank at time of Act ; Sub/Lieut. RNR

KOKO Sadsac

The document, which has his original recommendation, can probably be found using the ADM 12 indexes at Kew.