Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Great War Writing

David Filsell

I am currently working on a bibliography and commentary of German Great War books which were translated into English between 1916 and 2004. I include novels, diaries, personal acounts and reminiscences of civilians and junior ranks. Senior officers, members of the nobility are excluded since their works are far better known and the authors frequently had axes to grind. So far I have identified some 110 books on land, sea, air and the home front.

I would welcome views and opinions on any books which Forum users may have read, or own. Although I am surprised by the number of works translated I am confident that I must have missed some, so, if anyone would like to comment or suggest what they believe to be rare or less well known titles I would greatly welcome their thoughts.

I am hopeful of publication and a number of members of the book trade have already indicated interest in obtaining copies of the bibliography (which lists German publication details as well as English and US).

The objective is simply to reveal the range of works once available (and still mostly findeable) to outline their authors where possible and the political climate in Germany at the time of their writing.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated and I will attempt to respond to all contributors.

Reards

David

David,

I have read but few translations of German sources on the Great War, and so can offer little help. However, your project sounds most worthwhile and should be of great use to the many of us who would like a German perspective on particular issues but don't know where to start.

Good luck!

S

David,

I came across this extract of "Experiences of Baden Soldiers at the Front, Volume 1: Machine-guns in the Iron Regiment (8th Baden Infantry Regiment No.169)" by Otto Lais (G. Braun, Karlsruhe 1935)" on the web at http://www.btinternet.com/~a.jackson/lais_e.htm

It depicts the horror experienced by both sides in the battle for Serre.

Is it on your list? I don't know whether if was just this extract that has been translated into Enlgish of whether the whole work is in translation.

I'd recommended any one interested in the Battle of the Somme to read to it.

Chris.

Fascinating account. There is a comment to the effect that the author under-estimates the intensity of the German defensive barrage. This may be true. There is a certain quality of 'the infantry won the day' about the description. However, British counter-battery fire was very effective in some sectors, particularly on the right flank of the attack. So the author's interpretation could be true.

Interesting also to note the comparison with the attacks of 1917-18. Even so, the threat of rifle grenades is well illustrated.

I agree, a very interesting account. Far too few such translations of German accounts exist. Illuminating details about improvised cooling systems for Maxim guns! Whilst I am aware of the difficulties of keeping barrels cool during prolonged firing, I had never before considered that rising steam would reveal their exact location to the attacker.

I see it is from the Accrington Pals site. It looks like Mr Jackson has translated it because of its particular relevance to Serre, although it would be welome news if he has covered the whole book.

S

I had never before considered that rising steam would reveal their exact location to the attacker.

Yes, this was a serious worry for machine-gunners using water-cooled weapons for any length of time. I have come across this in several accounts. If the gun was used in the 'open' (ie not in a pillbox or equivalent) great efforts were made to prevent this. The other worry for weapons mounted well forward was flash detection at night. George Coppard makes mention of this in his book.

Thanks guys for your contribution I have emailed an equiry about the account although I suspect it is a "local" translation of a particulary well chosen section of the book. For your information I have so far identified some 30 or so German personal accounts or novelisations of personal accounts which have been translated into English. So they are not as rare as you might think!

Once again many thanks. Any other contributions very welcome.

Sounds a great project David, make sure you let us all know when its published as I know I'll be wanting one for sure!

Ryan

Hi David:

I don't know if the following book meets your criteria:

'The Vandal Of Europe' written by Wilhelm Muhlon, translated by William L. McPherson, first published in 1918 by G.P. Putnam's Sons.

Muhlon was a former Kropps director and he provides some interesting early war insights from the German perspective. The book covers the short period from August to November 1914.

Garth

Garth

Many thanks.

I have listed "Dr Meuhlon's Diary: Notes written in the early War Years", London, Cassell, 1918 - a Translation of Die Verhung Wuropas: Aufzeichnungen aus den estern Kriegsmonaten, Broche, 1918.

I have not yet located a copy, do you think its the same book?

Regards

David J Filsell

I have not yet located a copy, do you think its the same book?

Hi David:

I think it's the same book. His name was Dr. Wilhelm Mühlon.

I have the English version of the book published in 1918. The title is 'The Vandal of Europe: An Exposé of the Inner Workings of Germany's Policy of World Domination, and its Brutalizing Consequences.' G.P. Putnam's Sons (New York and London) The Knickerbocker Press, copyright 1918.

Dr. Mühlon was an interesting man who was talking about abolishing trade barriers and forming an economic union in Europe in 1914. It's well worth the read.

Some other titles published by G.P. Putnam's Sons you might want to research are:

'The Guilt of Germany For the War of German Aggression' by Prince Karl Lichnowsky. Lichnowsky was the German ambassador to England prior to the war.

and

'Deductions from the World War' by Lieutenant-General Baron von Freytag-Loringhoven, who was deputy chief of staff of the German Imperial Staff.

Garth

Garth

Many thanks, your two last suggestions fall outside my "frontline, junior ranks" remit. But Muehlon gets more and more interesting. It appears that no less then four English editions exist (including the one you have noted) the others are by

Cassell 1918 and Hodder and Stoughton published the same year in the UK and another in the US by H Doran and Co 1918. Equally it seems to have been published in German by Fussli in Switzerland and by Broche - although this could be a French version!

I have not bought a copy yet - but when I do so it will be interesting to compare it with your edition.

Regards

David

• 1 year later...

"War," Ludwig Renn

Paul