Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WIDFORD CAMP

Lachlan07

Hi everyone

I'm looking for the modern-day location of Widford Camp. Can anyone help me please ?

My idea so far is this:- I first saw it years ago on a WW1 panoramic photo of the Pipes and Drums and Military Band of the 2/7th Btn Royal Scots (T.F). My maternal grandad was a piper in the 2/7th and he's in the photo, kitted out in khaki kilt tunic, glengarry, Hunting Stewart kilt, sporran, khaki spats etc and the pipes of course. The caption mentioned Widford Camp.

Eventually, I went to live in Chelmsford, Essex. Guess what ? - there is a small suburb called Widford, with lots of farmland and a big nearby park, called Hylands Park (scene of today's music V-Festivals) in the grounds of Hylands House. I have learned that the 2/7th was stationed for a time in Essex and there's a record of them guarding the wreck of a downed Zeppelin nr Billericay - which isn't too far away. Unfortunately, I don't live there now, I'm in the Middle East.

I would be happier than a pig in swill if some kind person could confirm that Widford Camp (I think a tented camp) was based in Hylands Park or identify some other location.

Many thanks !

Lachlan

Lachlan

Three Widfords in southern half of England. Two in Essex,one as you say near Chelmsford, another near Harlow. The other is in Oxfordshire near Witney,also a military area over the years.

No hits on the web for these places indicating a WW1 camp though. The place to see where it was is the Regimental History, or the War Diary for 2/7th RS at the National Archives.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Widford in Oxfordshire is in the Windrush Valley (Yes, the one that has just flooded) about 6m from Witney and 3m from Burford. It is a very small hamlet, best known for its very early chuch.

It is an unlikely place for a military camp.

Bob

• 8 months later...

I do not know whether the photos you have will give an indication of location to someone knowing the area to identify exactly where from looking at them but it might be worth posting the photos here to assist. Hylands Park House now has its own website and would be worth contacting regarding history as a fair bit of research has been done (does not mention WW1 but states that it was the HQ for the SAS in WW2).

I have at the back of my mind that soldiers camped on the playing fields used by Widford Lodge Prep School so may be worth contacting them through their site?