Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Ship 'Larada'

BJanman

Hi all

I've received a copy of an original photo of a hospital ship. On the back of the original it stated

HOSPITAL SHIP LARADA?

LEFT BOMBAY 29 - - 191?

FOR MESOPATAMIA WITH 80?

I do not have anything on this ship and I've tried a Google search with no results. The information on the back of the photo doesn't help that much either really. Does anyone know anything about this hospital ship or any hospital ships with a similar name that was in the area?

Thanks

Barbara

OK, thanks Doc2. I really appreciate you looking.

Thinking about it, I have come across a couple of really good websites on hospital ships so I'll see if I can locate them again and try to contact the author. If I send them the photo, someone may recognise the ship.

Thanks again

Barbara

Barbara,

'Larada' isn't the answer -- there isn't a matching ship by that name. My guess is that there's a letter or two off. Also, hospital ships would generally be converted ocean liners, and ocean liners tendd to have place/geographic names. Any chance it's "Canada" -- there was a hospital ship by that name?

Best wishes,

Michael

Barbara,

'Larada' isn't the answer -- there isn't a matching ship by that name.

Michael

Michael

Thank you for confirming that.

The problem is I do not often see the originals so can only go on the information that people send through, which is their best effort at transcribing what is written.

I do not have any details on the hospital ship 'Canada', only a reference that suggests it was a French hosptial ship.

On your advice, I've had another look through my list and have come up with one other possibility which is the 'Takada'. Unfortunately, all I have on this ship is she served from 29th November 1914 - 22 December 1919, but that could explain the 29 -- 19?

Anyway, you have given me food for thought so I will get Googling again to see if I can find a match.

Thank you so much

Barbara

I've found a brilliant website with hundreds of pictures of different ships.

There appears to be more than one ship called "Canada". A picture that positively idenifies the hospital ship is a post card image, it looks similar but I'm not sure.

Guess what, no picture of the 'Takada'. Out of hundreds of ships, can you believe it. I've found information though that places this ship in Mesopotamia so I guess I'm getting somewhere. I'm going to write to the owner of the photo and ask if they can send me a photocopy of the other side. Worth a try.

Cheers

Barbara

Hello Barbara, it might help you if you have a look at this thread because it names a whole raft of hospital ships.

post No 40

Best wishes

David

Takada was in service 10 Aug 1915-29 Apr 1919, and could carry about 450 patients, according to Plumridge. Sorry, no other info. Doc2

Thanks Dave and Doc2 for pointing out the difference in dates. I've got a vague recollection that my Dad said there were some differences in Plumridge's dates and some he found via other sources. I'm sure he said that Plumridge was wrong, but then he would, wouldn't he :D I'll need to look back through his notes to find out what the other sources were.

I've found a note that says "Diaries will in future be kept by Hosptial Ships" - dated 1916. Has anyone come across these at the National Archive?

Thanks also for the link to the thread, interesting information about the Hosptial Ship "Ella".

Barbara