Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

death,s at sea

calvin

hello all, does anyone know what happens when a sailor goes down with his ship, there does not seem to be records kept at the registry offices of the home town where they came from, so are death cert,s issued, some people may need them for proof of death, what accually happens. thankyou all, regards john

They should be with other overseas BMDs and the indexes are online at Findmypast.com and other sites I believe. However it will cost you £7 to order the certificate from the GRO, and in my experience you will not get any more information than is on CWGC for free.

Pete

As stated, all naval deaths are recorded by the GRO in a separate index. They are available to order online and cost £7.50 if you supply the reference number (post the name here and it will be supplied!).

As Pete said, the certificate will not give a detailed cause of death nor NoK details.

hello pete and terry, thankyou for that, the man i was looking at was frederick robbins died 2/8/1942 on ship called bombay , i found some details on cwgc, i just wanted to know how it was done and if my relatives had needed evidence for insuances etc. in those days how they would have gone about providing proof of death without a death cert. thanks guys for that, regards, john