Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Battalion CEF , somme

bts1970

Hello again

Private R S GRIMES

447150, 29th Bn., Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment)

“A” company , killed at Regina Trench

who died on 13 October 1916

Remembered with honour

PURTON (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD Marker 6. 1.

http://www.oodwooc.co.uk/web_pics/Purton/Purton0577.jpg

This lad appears to have been a migrant worker ( Farmer ) who enlisted in Calgary. he was wounded on the Somme , believed to be Regina trench & was then evacuated to Newcastle where he succumed to his wounds , returned to Purton where he was buried in the family plot

Any possibility of a trenchmap scan Regina trench area if possible either on here or e-mail bob.mech00@tiscali.co.uk

Regards to evryone

Bob

Attestation Form.

Front

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc005/366053a.gif

Back

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc005/366053b.gif

Next of Kin lived Park House , Purton.

If that the same as Park House Farm then,that's where Purton Windows are now.

http://ww3.northwilts.gov.uk/Council/Servi...11?OpenDocument

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/address...p;gear=postcode

We would need to have a peek at Pte. Grimes' service record to be absolutely certain about which action in which he was wounded. The 29th Battalion (Vancouver) participated in two operations at about this time. They did not themselves assault Regina Trench, but in both operations parts of Regina Trench were objectives of the larger operation.

The first, on 26-28 September, is now called the Battle of Thiepval Ridge. The 29th advanced over on the right flank. I have tried to mark the approximate area in red on the attached sketch. During this tour casualties in the 29th numbered about 52 killed, 165 wounded, and 59 missing.

During an subsequent attempt at Regina Trench on 1 - 3 October, the 29th was in support, and dug a jumping off trench in no mans land about 500 yards from Regina. They suffered 23 wounded on this occasion. I have tried to indicate the approximate position in green.

I notice this man enlisted in Calgary with th 56th Battalion. There were other men from Calgary units about this time who ended up with British Columbian battalions. My guess is that in the summer of 1916 it suddenly became clear that there were more B.C. units at the front than could be reinforced from that place.

I have been frustrated when researching other fellows who became casualties at this time. Operation Orders and reports often seem vague and incomplete. My opinion, from trying to go through these War Diaries, is that the Army in general, and the Canadian part of it in particular, had not yet mastered proper staff work.

Of course, I may change my mind as I learn more!

post-75-1185235312.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Updated info, any help on movements of the 29thBattalion prior to and including the date of wounding gratefully recieved

GRIMES, Robert Stanley.

Enlisted: 28/05/1915, Calgary, Canada.

Age given: 29 years. Born 27/01/1886.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: NOK listed as Mrs Annie J Grimes (Mother), Packhorse, Purton. (Remembrance book states parents as Richard and Annie of the Packhorse).

MIC details / Medal entitlement.

447150 Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

British War Medal, Victory Medal

Extracts from: Service record (Canadian).

28/05/1916 Transferred to 56th Battalion, (2nd draft).

11/09/1915 Sailed from Montreal onboard SS Metagama.

29/09/1915 Arrived in England.

03/05/1916 Shorncliffe, transferred to Machine Gun Section (MGS).

07/05/1916 Transferred to the 29th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment) MGS.

08/05/1916 Taken On Strength (29th Battalion), arrived at Canadian Base Details (C.B.D).

31/05/1916 Left C.B.D. for unit.

26/09/1916 Wounded in action. Gunshot wound (GSW) right foot, right thigh and left thigh (septic).

28/09/1916 Admitted to St John Ambulance Brigade Hospital at Etaples.

10/10/1916 Folkstone, Taken On Strength Shoreham.

11/10/1916 Admitted to the 1st Northern General Hospital, Newcastle. Wound of the left thigh developed Gas Gangrene.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Died aged 30 on the 13th October 1916 at 10:45AM in Newcastle General Hospital of wounds he received. Robert is buried in PURTON (ST.MARY) CHURCHYARD Marker 6.1. His funeral was a joint ceremony with another Purton lad STANLEY FREDERICK HAINES.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: Purton War Memorial (Recorded as R.S GRIMES), Memorial Board in St Mary’s Church (Recorded as STANLEY), name listed in the Memorial book in St Mary’s Church, SDGW listing.

Best regards

Bob Lloyd

Ken

Many thanks for the links, again shows how other countries have more available archives than ourselves. Many thanks again

Best regards

Bob

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob

From the 29th's Diary for 26th Sept.

A & D Coys occupied Quarry in front of Courcelette. C & B Coys dug in along Gunpit Road. 12:55 barrage commenced and one minute later the attack started. Objective is enemy line M.19.d.2.6. to M.19.d.7.2. Objective was gained. The 28th Bn on right flank was ordered not to attack due to a tank failure. The 31st on the left was held up at the wire. The 29th Bn held on although exposed to galling sniping and machine gun fire.

Edit:

Apologies Bob. I see that you already had the war diary link from an earlier post.

Bob, you can see the area on this section of trench map.

Many thanks to Croonaert for allowing the use of the maps.

The quarry is marked right at the very bottom and you can see

how the objective line would have crossed over the Dyke road.

post-33142-1276451401.jpg

I have put a green dot on the map roughly (very roughly) where I was standing

when I took this photo. The Dyke Road is to my left, the Quarry is down to my right.

post-33142-1276452267.jpg

Many thanks for the personal run through, i hope to get there later this year (work permitting that is)

Many thanks again

Bob

Thanks to Ulsterlad i booted myself up the rear to collate all the details for an update

GRIMES, Robert Stanley.

Enlisted: (Canadian over-seas Expeditionary Force) 28/05/1915, Calgary, Canada.

Age given: 29 years. Born 27/01/1886.

Address / Next Of Kin, family details: NOK listed as Mrs Annie J Grimes (Mother), Packhorse, Purton. (Remembrance book states parents as Richard and Annie of the Packhorse).

Extracts from: Service record (Canadian).

447150 Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF).

British War Medal, Victory Medal.

28/05/1916 Transferred to 56th Battalion, (2nd draft).

11/09/1915 Sailed from Montreal onboard SS Metagama.

29/09/1915 Arrived in England.

03/05/1916 Shorncliffe, transferred to Machine Gun Section (MGS).

07/05/1916 Transferred to the 29th (Vancouver) Battalion, Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment) MGS.

08/05/1916 Taken On Strength (29th Battalion), arrived at Canadian Base Details (C.B.D).

31/05/1916 Left C.B.D. for unit (A Company, 29th Battalion). The War Diary of the 29th recorded a draft of 121 joined

the Battalion on the 2nd June. The Battalion was in the Ypres Salient, Belgium.

24/09/1916 The Battalion has moved to the Somme region, France and marched from Harponville for 8 hours to reach

sausage valley where they bivouac to prepare for an Attack on the 26th “The Battle for Thiepval Ridge”.

25/09/1916 The Battalion moved to trenches East of Courcelette, they were in place in the frontline trenches by 01:20

Hrs on the 26th.

26/09/1916 Battalion War Diary recorded that A Company occupied Quarry in front of Courcelette, at 12:55PM the

barrage started, the objective being the German front trench. The 29th cleared their objective in 10minutes

although the Battalions on either side of them were held up. The 28th to the right remained in its trenches

after failures of their tank support. This led to exposure to sniping and machine gun fire, 2 counter attacks

were repulsed. Wounded in action. Gunshot wound (GSW) right foot, right thigh and left thigh (septic).

28/09/1916 Admitted to St John Ambulance Brigade Hospital at Etaples.

10/10/1916 Folkstone, Taken On Strength Shoreham.

11/10/1916 Admitted to the 1st Northern General Hospital, Newcastle.

Papers from Newcastle Hospital recorded that “right foot, deep wound. Left thigh, large drainage tube through from front to back. Right thigh large wound 8 inch long 3 inch wide, both wounds septic, temp 99.8.”

11/10/1916 Eveming “has been restless and collapsed”.

12/10/1916 Evening “Still collapsed: pulse weak. Restless but not so bad as last night”.

13/10/1916 “Patient much worse, left thigh swollen and shows large area of Gangrene”.

Death / Burial / Memorial details.

Died aged 30 on the 13th October 1916 at 10:45AM in Newcastle General Hospital of wounds he received, his funeral took place on the 24th October. Robert is buried in PURTON (ST.MARY) CHURCHYARD Marker 6.1. His funeral was a joint ceremony with STANLEY FREDERICK HAINES.

Evidence for inclusion on the Purton Parish list: Purton War Memorial (Recorded as R.S GRIMES), Memorial Board in St Mary’s Church (Recorded as STANLEY), name listed in the Memorial book in St Mary’s Church, SDGW listing.

Best regards to all who view & help, especially to Chris in Canada & Ulsterlad for his pictures

Bob