Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chatham - Spring 1916

Chris

Hi

Sometime ago i bought an envelope with about 20 or so pictures of what i have taken to be Naval cadets. Most are either named or dated or both. They seem to all be from Feb - May 1916, and i think are all from Chatham. Can someone tell me what the capbadge signifies, and also several of the men have a single star badge on their arm; does anyone know what it is for?

All appear in one of the two styles of uniform pictured below, except one man, significantly older than the rest, who has a hat, HMS Pembroke. Would i be right in thinking that these are possibly cadets in traiing and the older guy is some form of instructor????????

post-1012-1185189467.jpg

Any tips appreciated.

Chris

and picture 2

post-1012-1185189601.jpg

Hi

Sometime ago i bought an envelope with about 20 or so pictures of what i have taken to be Naval cadets. Most are either named or dated or both. They seem to all be from Feb - May 1916, and i think are all from Chatham. Can someone tell me what the capbadge signifies, and also several of the men have a single star badge on their arm; does anyone know what it is for?

All appear in one of the two styles of uniform pictured below, except one man, significantly older than the rest, who has a hat, HMS Pembroke. Would i be right in thinking that these are possibly cadets in traiing and the older guy is some form of instructor????????

Any tips appreciated.

Chris

Hello Chris

The cap badge is for Petty Officer (Junior Ratings)

Star Badge signifies either Schoolmaster/Writer/Steward or Cook

Regards John