Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Rankings

colinfoot

I have come across a naval record where the sailor moves from Petty Officer 1st Class to Petty Officer (NS). He went on to become Chief Petty Officer. It also says he passed P.O.G. a year or so after becoming Petty Officer (NS). Can anyone help with the translation of the NS and the G please. Many thanks.

I have come across a naval record where the sailor moves from Petty Officer 1st Class to Petty Officer (NS). He went on to become Chief Petty Officer. It also says he passed P.O.G. a year or so after becoming Petty Officer (NS). Can anyone help with the translation of the NS and the G please. Many thanks.

Hello,

In 1913 the rating of 2nd class petty officer was abolished & the title 1st class petty officer was discontinued, becoming petty officers. The Petty Officer [NS] is intriguing as I also have a service record with this rating on which I interpret as Non Substantive meaning qualified but not paid for that rate i.e. an acting rank, but I am not sure about this. P.O.G. is Petty Officer Gunner, a P.O. with a gunnery qualification.

ARABIS.

Hi,

(O.S.) denotes a rating ordrered to die out after 1st October 1907.

(N.S.) denotes a new rating established on 1st October 1907.

P.O.G. means he has passed the long course for Gunner which qualifies him to Warrant Rank.

Regards Charles

If he was appointed a Gunner his record would be continued in different service records and his appointments can also be found in the Navy List.

Hello,

In 1913 the rating of 2nd class petty officer was abolished & the title 1st class petty officer was discontinued, becoming petty officers. The Petty Officer [NS] is intriguing as I also have a service record with this rating on which I interpret as Non Substantive meaning qualified but not paid for that rate i.e. an acting rank, but I am not sure about this. P.O.G. is Petty Officer Gunner, a P.O. with a gunnery qualification.

ARABIS.

Many Thanks

Colin

NS = New Scheme (In brackets after a Rate or Rank) indicates Qualification was under the rules which came into force in 1907.

Many thanks

Colin