Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AM2 W Bingham

Adrian Roberts

On the Memorial Plaque on my church (St John the Baptist, West Wickham), I noticed the name of a Cpl W Bingham, dod 5th July 1916, with his unit given as "AFC".

I wasn't sure what "AFC" was - it seemed unlikely though not impossible that a member of the Australian Flying Corps would be commemorated in Kent. I looked him up on the CWGC website - sure enough it should have read RFC, and his rank and name were given as AM2 (Air Mechanic 2nd Class) William Bernard Bingham. I've noticed other discrepancies on that memorial plaque. It must be the same man as the date is the same, and he was living with his wife in Hayes, Kent, the next village (suburb, now) to here.

Has anyone any info as to what happened to him? Probably an accident, as his grave site is given as being in the UK, in his parent's parish of West Stoke (in W Sussex I believe).

Adrian

Adrian

AMII William Bernard Bingham (27088) of the RFC Recruit Depot died aged 32 on 5 July 1916. No details are given in Airmen Died, but I'd guess that it was illness-related, as the book often remarks on those deaths that were the results of accidents.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth

must have been particularly unfortunate to die of an illness given what else was going on in July 1916; just as tragic for his family.

Adrian

Adrian

A very long shot: look in AIR 79 to see if the RAF recorded any details.