Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Aircraft and Bombs

John84

After some very informative replies from ‘Pals’ to my question about the German air raid on the 17 casualty Clearing Station, on 17 August, 1917. I was wondering if any of our aviation experts could tell me please, what type of aircraft and bombs may have been used that caused the damage that is mentioned in the war diary extract below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John.

‘I examined the craters at at No 17 C.C.S. today. They were 12 by 14 feet in diameter and 5 to 6 feet deep. One was within 20 yards of the officers' huts & tents- which were riddled with splinters. The officers were in the mess at the time.’

The German bombers did not start to use the 1000kg blast bomb until 1918, however 21cm howitzer shells were fitted with fins and used as aircraft bombs. These could have produced the craters mentioned, They could be carried by the more powerful 2 seaters such as the DFW C V but more likely by a twin engined bomber such as the AEG G VI for day bombing, or one of the Friedrichsafen (night bombing). For blockbuster effects the gebalte Ladung was used. This was a thin walled steel chest that had no fins or any formof stramlining what so ever but would not produce such a crater.

The German bombers did not start to use the 1000kg blast bomb until 1918, however 21cm howitzer shells were fitted with fins and used as aircraft bombs. These could have produced the craters mentioned, They could be carried by the more powerful 2 seaters such as the DFW C V but more likely by a twin engined bomber such as the AEG G VI for day bombing, or one of the Friedrichsafen (night bombing). For blockbuster effects the gebalte Ladung was used. This was a thin walled steel chest that had no fins or any formof stramlining what so ever but would not produce such a crater.

centurion

Lovely piece of information,...thanks a lot.

John.