Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Catholic soldiers

Ste

Earlier today, I came across an interesting - and heated - debate aired in the local newspaper in late 1914. The 1st line of the local Territorials were then stationed in Tunbridge Wells, and Roman Catholic private wrote anonymously to the St Helens Newspaper and Advertiser complaining that the battalion Colonel had said the British Army only really recognised one religion and that all officers and men should simply attend the C of E church parade.

The private, signing himself 'La Victoire', describes this as 'one of the biggest affronts ever offered to Catholic soldiers.' He refers obliquely to 'more' matters, but refrains from elaborating 'so that it cannot be said we tried to stop recruiting.

The Colonel responed with a letter published one week later, also in the town's other organ, the Reporter. Under the headline 'Religious Freedom in the 5th South Lancs', Col Lionel Pilkington angrily denies ever having said - or thought - any such thing, and states that church parade caters from Catholics, Methodists and others.

St Helens and surrounding areas was around 50% Roman Catholic, and as the core of the battalion had been together as Territorials it seems perhaps surprising that this surfaced as an issue when it did. The Pilkingtons were one of the most foremost families in the town, and would not be unaware of the religious sensitivities of the men, which applied to their workforce in the glass industry.

[My Grandfather tells me of the disdain his spiritual needs were treated when he joined up in 1940. Church parade for Roman Catholics consisted of collecting litter whilst the C of E majority attended mass. However, this was not in a regiment from a Catholic heartland, and is therefore unsurprising. He adds that a mini-strike by the dozen or so RC's led to better treatment].

It is possible that 'La Victoire' was particularly devout, and perhaps a recent recruit, unused to army life, and that he does not speak for others. However, other letters and editorials hint at some disquiet within the battalion over religious observance, and officers trying to make the men take The Pledge.

What do you think? Is this unrepresentative and misleading? Or were church parades conducted with little thought for non CofE convictions? I appreciate that this would vary with different units and OCs, but would be grateful for your opinions.

Thank you,

Ste

Ste,

I don't know the particulars of this case however generally speaking, in 1914 one of the problems must have been a shortage of staff. The strength of the RAChD in August 1914 was a total of 117; 89 Anglican, 17 Roman Catholic and 11 Presbyterian. Also, of the 17 RC chaplains, at that time 6 were serving overseas or were detached.

For further info on the work of RC chaplains and the spiritual care of RC soldiers see "The Cross on the Sword" by Tom Johnstone and James Hagerty, published in 1996 by Geoffrey Chapman; pages 71-190 cover the army in WWI and pages 204-271 WWII

Regards

Michael D.R,

Michael,

thanks, I will certainly search out the book. Shortage of staff must have had something to do with it. However, given the numbers, not every battalion - including Territorials - can have had a Chaplain of any denomination all the time. No doubt I'll find more on this case as the research goes on.

In the brief period after mobilisation, but before departing their home town, the Catholics of the battalion were marched to a lage local RC Church, whilst the CofE troops were taken to their Church. This is easy enough in a large town served by churches of many faiths; less so when at camp.

However, even if an RC Chaplain wasn't available and no suitable church within miles, I expect Col Pilkington would show sensitivity. He would have been used to half of his large workforce following the RC faith, with all the subtle differences from and rivalries with the CofE.

St Helens is hardly Glasgow, but even now has largely segregated schools. My parents generation experience some pressure not to marry outside their faith; this was rather more severe in 1914. To be seen to favour one faith over the other could foster discontent within units from such areas.

Cheers,

S

Ste,

Reading again the colonel's reply, I wonder if in this particular case no chaplain was available and the colonel expected everyone to join in a sort of 'combined' service? Well before the days on ecumenicalism I know, but under the strained circumstances of the war's early days, it is a possibility.

By the way, if your are a regular researcher of the St. Helens Newspaper and Advertiser, then you may like to know that in the editions for 1915 [8th June & 9th November] I think that you can read of the exploits of Father Finn who died at V Beach Gallipoli 25th April 1915 and of his successor at St. Helens, Father Corcoran, who also served for a little while at Suvla

Best Regards

Michael D.R.

Ste,

No, in fact this particular info is not from the book. Some years ago I collaborated with a fellow enthusiast, now sadly passed away, on an article about Father Finn who was the first chaplain to be killed whilst on active service in WWI. It was my collaborator who was living in St. Helens at the time and he did the research at that end

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

sorry to hear your friend is no longer with us. Was he very active in local military history?

As a relative youngster (27) I'm not part of any local network of interested parties in St Helens. I find general awareness of the local regiments' activities in the Great War to be very low. More people have heard of the Accrington Pals than their local counterparts.

I'm about to appeal for personal sources on the South Lancs through the St Helens Reporter (the Newspaper and Advertiser having long since been lost); hopefully this will unearth some local mines of information.

I'll be next in the local archive on Monday 12th (hopefully) and will look up Father Finn then.

Thanks again,

Ste

sorry to hear your friend is no longer with us.  Was he very active in local military history?

Ste,

Thanks for your remarks

I understand him to have been an active member of the WFA

and another friend told me that their obit for him asked 'where did he not have friends?' I know him to have been a generous and forgiving man; in those pre-internet days we worked by post and I wish that I had known him better

Regards

Michael D.R.