Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ladies buried at Etaples!

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

I am taking a small party over to Etaples later in the year and I intend to show them a number of the Ladies graves in Etaples Cemetery.

Does anybody happen to have any photos of any of them that they would care to post and allow me to share with my party please?

Also if anybody knows the history or stories of any of them and how that met their sad fates I would love to know more please.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie this isnt terribly helpful I,m afraid but when there last year spotted one of a matron in the Lefthand block as one looks in from the entrance. Thats a lot of use isnt it, as I,m sad to say I dont even recall the name but I,m sure pals will help you out.

regards SG

Chris,

really nice to here from you but as you say its as 'much use as a chocolate tea pot' you muppet :wacko: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All joking apart I previously got a lot of help from Pal's on a previous thread re Etaples, when I visited the area on a recce I viewed the nurses plot and want to include them in my tour and as you know pictures and anecdotes can really bring it home and enhance the visit.

Hope you are well and recovered from your epic Spanish adventures,

regards,

Scottie.

Cockney Tone

Send me your Email Add and I will send a selection of different services

From the genuine Cockney Tone

Scottie,

I'm sad to say i lost the photo's i took in a recent crash! had the photo's but not any details!

Sorry like you already said about as much use as....................................

mandy

Not sure if its of interest or in the correct section but recently added a selection of headstones to my site from Wimererux CWGC including quite a few ladies - nurses and Aid Workers - photos added soon

http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/genealogyju...asdecalais.html

I've loads of other pictures, war memorials etc to add but never enough time in the day to do that and work aswell and visit France. Just come back and off in another 3 weeks.

Carol

www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

www.genealogyjunction.org.uk

Scottie

In another thread, in "Women in the great War" headed "Where are they buried" I posted some photographs of funerals at Etaples, posts #37 #38 *39 if they are any use to you I can send them and other's to you.

Cheers Rob.

Pal's,

thanks for your posts,

Now, after calling poor old Chris a Muppet, it appears that i may be a bit of one myself! On re reading my thread I may not have made my request really clear! I am actually trying to obtain photos of the actual individual Nurses and not their Grave stones. What I intend is to show my mates the Graves at Etaples and then show pictures of the Nurses and tell a bit of their story and what sort of life they led.

Rob,

I had been following the thread you mentioned but i am not clear if the shot of the open graves was finally identified as being at Etaples or not? I will PM you with my e-mail as I would be grateful of any related photos which will help me set the scene.

Thank you all for your help and Chris 'You are still a muppet' and it looks like Mandy is looking to join you :rolleyes:

Regards,

Scottie.

(Chief Muppet)

Scottie,

Have you tried Jim Strawbridge? His project is women who died in the Great War, drop him a PM i'm sure he will come up with something for you!!

Anthony,

no was not aware of this project, sounds really interesting, I will PM him,

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Scottie.

(Another ANTHONY!)

Tony,

thank you for that clarification, suppose i have an excuse now for visiting Bagneux!

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie,

Have you tried Jim Strawbridge? His project is women who died in the Great War, drop him a PM i'm sure he will come up with something for you!!

Scottie has contacted me and I am happy to give him whatever help that I can. In fact I know that I can help with both photographs and stories behind the women. I have given him some thoughts and will progress when he decides which graves he is likely to visit.