Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private F. D. Cox 22nd squadron RFC 26/11/1916

tharkin56

I have some information on Francis Daulman Cox but most of the other casualties i have researched have been Officers would he have been in line for a promotion

Cox, Francis Daulman. Private. 5243, 22nd Squadron, Royal Flying Corps and 28th Battalion, London Regiment (Artists’ Rifles) who died of wounds,France age 24 on the 26th November 1916. Son of Walter James and Mary Jane Cox, of 4 Coundon Street, Coventry, Warwickshire. Born in 1892; resided at 4 Coundon Street. Buried Etaples Military Cemetery, Plot XX, Row C, Grave 8

Information is to hand of the death from wounds of F.D Cox, eldest son of Mr Walter James Cox, 4 Coundon Road, Coventry. He joined the Artist rifles in October 1915 and went through a training in the London district and in France later he was attached to the Flying squadron and was severely wounded in an aerial action on November 17th. He died of wounds in the Canadian general Hospital at etaples on November 26th

Pte F D Cox was flying as the observer in FE 2b 6950 of No 22 Sqn RFC, flown by 2Lt M R Helliwell, when he was mortally wounded on 26 November 1916. 2Lt Helliwell was wounded in the action, when the controls of 6950 were so damaged as to force the aeroplane to crash near Pozieres. A victory was credited to Ltn Hans von Keudell of Jasta 1; it was the ninth of the twelve victories he achieved before being shot down by Sopwith Pups of No 46 Sqn RFC on 15 February 1917.

Gareth

Pte F D Cox was flying as the observer in FE 2b 6950 of No 22 Sqn RFC, flown by 2Lt M R Helliwell, when he was mortally wounded on 26 November 1916. 2Lt Helliwell was wounded in the action, when the controls of 6950 were so damaged as to force the aeroplane to crash near Pozieres. A victory was credited to Ltn Hans von Keudell of Jasta 1; it was the ninth of the twelve victories he achieved before being shot down by Sopwith Pups of No 46 Sqn RFC on 15 February 1917.

Gareth

Many thanks I dont suppose there was a picture of him, i have searched all the coventry newspapers his old school magazine and no picture of him

If RAF service papers were created for him they may be in AIR 79 at Kew in service number order.