Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

in need of some help

Guest 36th ulster

Guest 36th ulster

Right i want to visit the graves of the proud 36th Ulster division. Iwas wanting to do a self-driving tour of the area. Taking in the Ulster Tower Thiepval...any ideas on maps, guides, places to stay...

Thanks for any help you can give me

jj...... <_<

Holts Battlefield Guide is probably as good as any. At least I didnt get lost with it (and my other half is not a good navigator). Any good bookshop will sort you out.

John

B)

The Somme Battlefieds by Martin & Mary Middlebrook is good for providing background information and line sketch maps of the area. I would also suggest a 1:125000 map of the general area, Department Somme Sheet 80, I got both from Waterstones. Hope this is of use.

There's a 'Somme in a Day' itinerary on my website which you can use with the map suggested above - click on the WWW link below this post.

Do visit the Ulster Tower at Thiepval - there are some great Northern Irish people running it now, and you'd be ensured of a good welcome.

JJ,

When in that area I stay at Mike & Julie Renshaw's place, 'Les Galets' in Auchonvillers. Must admit have not been for a few years, but that is no reflection on them, more on my bank balance!

Rob