Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Edward Crossland

Guest edthemed

Guest edthemed

I have my Grandfathers Silver War Badge.

I traced the number on the back and was given the details of another soldier.

My GF's details from roll of individuals entitled to war badge;

Enlisted 21/8/1915 - Discharged 12/2/1919

Discharge cause Para 392 xvi KR A029/19

334008 Pte Edward Crossland

Labour Coy

524 HSE Coy

Badge Number and Certificate - B/136224

Silver War Badge list - LC/3313

The badge I have was issued to the following;

31788 Pte Geo ELKINS

3rd Bn Welsh R

Badge Number and Certificate - 437150

Elistment 5/8/1915 Discharge 3/7/1918

Cause of Discharge - Para 329 xvi KR

Family have told me that GF was in the Lancashire Fusiliers ?

That he was wounded in the neck with a bayonet and returned from the France.

Met GM at a convalesence home in Nottingham. being introduced because they had the same surname as each other (Crossland) they were marred in 17/June/1918.

Picture attached of GF & GM at their wedding.

Anybody glean anything from GF in his uniform ?

What is 524 HSE Coy ?

What was Labour Coy ?

Was he Lancashire Fusilier ?

post-20-1073070646.jpg

524 HSE Coy stands for 524 Home Service Employment Company which was part of the Labour Corps (Labour Coy).

Foru your grandfather to have been transferred to a Home Service company of the Labour Corps he would have been medically unfit for service overseas. This could well fit in with him having been wounded whilst in the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Employment Companies were used to support military bases and establishments (like hospitals). The men in these Companies would undertake general labouring tasks (cleaning, moving people and stores, building work etc) and also clerical duties.

The bad news is that these companies did not keep records and what records were kept have not survived. However I do know that 524 Company was based in Nottingham so it may well be that he was being employed at the convalescence home where he met his wife.

The Medal Index Cards at the NationalArchives, Kew will confirm wich other regiments he served in together with his regimental numbers and the date he went overseas.

Hope this helps.

I think I might have lost the plot with this, but you give two different badge numbers but dont actually say what the number on the badge is. SWB's are uniquely numbered - if you have badge #437150 then you have Elkins' badge and not your grandfather's. As Ivor says, the medal records need to be checked - mic's and the roll(s) - making mic searches without looking at the rolls as well is a bit like buying fish & chips and just getting the chips - to varying degrees that is, - you are a bit unlucky here because you will be looking at a BW&V Medal roll from the Labour Corps records office, and they are not exactly informative.

Your grandfather is wearing two wound stripes and a 2 years LS&GC chevron, so when the photo was taken he had served somewhere between 2 and 6 years. Above the chevron is what appears to be a Marksman's proficiency badge - I'd think it unlikely that he gained that whilst serving in the L Corps.

regards - Tom

Guest edthemed

Tom and Ivor,

thanks for the replies.

Ivor, The medal index card says he was living at 48 Huxley Street, Castle Park Northwich, my Father was born there in 1923.

The marriage cert show them both living in Nottinham in 1918. Which because of the Nursing home they met.

Tom,

Yes I have Pte Geo Elkins SWB. Why I will probably never find out, it may of been that they were great friends and swapped, or it may of just been a mistake, I have just left the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers in 2002 after 22 years service, so yes a mistake is easily made. I have seen a few. I have a comfirmation of the SWB being issued in Nottingham 7/3/1919. From the Medal Branch in Pilgrim Street with issue date of 27/3/1919.

Yes it looks like a marksman badge, I had one and it is similar with crossed rifles.

The Chevron, hey you know I did not even see that until I looked after your reply, I missed it, masked looking like a crease in the fabric.

The Roll for Pte Elkins is from the Welsh Regt dated 3/7/1918, in Shrewsbury.

My GF and Pte Elkins were enlisted in Aug/1915 so may have become friends ?

Okay thanks for the replies, will add more once speak to Dad and his brother

Eddy

The family story passed to me from my Aunt was that he had been wounded twice ? apparently in the neck and somewhere else. I will have to speak to my Dad and find out if he knows anything etc.

Both GF and Elkins enlisted in Aug 1915 may have become friends ? will look into it further with my Dad and his Brother.

thanks

Eddy

post-20-1073156732.jpg

Eddy - those images above arent clained to be photocopies of original documents, are they ?

regards - Tom

Guest edthemed

Tom

No they are details that were obtained when an Uncle of mine wanted to find out the SWB history etc when my GF died. They were passed on to me as I was the only one interested in the Family History. I think that they have been transcribed from original details as they are in pencil. I have attached a copy of the letter from the fellow that did the search for my uncle.

I spoke with my father, he said that Edward Crossland had four medals and the SWB, one of them had a white ring with the words "Sir Edward Crossland" inside the ring, He was only young when he saw the medals but was always interested in the " Sir" part. I am trying to find out who in my family if any has the medals now. I am getting quite interested in this now. The plot thickens.

thanks

Eddy

post-20-1073170681.jpg

Eddy - ............. "As no medals are shown" .............. And Edward Crossland had two wound stripes and Marksman qualification .... and your father had seen the medals. And you have a SWB which isnt your grandfathers SWB, but this Edward Crossland must be the right man because he's the only one with a SWB ?

That is very, very, dodgy maths. I wouldnt be at all surprised if you have the military ID for the wrong man. You should probably re-check the whole process.

AND - totally unrelated to this case - these photocopied mock-ups of medal index cards and medal rolls (I've seen photocopies of blank genuine medal roll pages used for the same purpose) are a fairly common sight. I think that some "researchers" have used them to avoid the cost & time involved in getting copies of the originals, but I have also seen them used to "falsify" men's medal entitlements where medals were being offered for sale. The most common example was with BW&V pairs being offered with a supporting card which showed the pair as being the man's full entitlement, when the original card showed that he was also entitled to a 1914 or 1914-15 Star. Repeat - I have no reason to believe that there was any intention to mislead in this case, and I have no reason to doubt that what you have should faithfully represent the original documents.

regards - Tom

Guest edthemed

Thanks Tom

As I said earlier and I think may be true in this case The Plot has thickened and I will have to go to the bequining and sort it out best I can.

Many thanks

Eddy