Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seaman Yearsley

wulsten

Postcard of what appears Seaman W Yearsley, cap tally appears to read Cornwall ? but cannot see all of the lettering, can anyone cast any ideas on the reverse inscription to the post card.

post-9296-1184686702.jpg

post-9296-1184686719.jpg

Thanks for the reply, the NA info & Cwgc entry is certainly intersting, nothing ever seems straight forward.

Have dowloaded service document but dont know how to add to forum

Hello,

I've also struggled with Walter Albert Yearsley. I've got his plaque which is a unique name, but I've struggled with the CWGC website, because there isn't a Walter Albert listed. His details do however appear but they are recorded against the forename of John as Horatio noted above.

Interestingly I rang the cemetary at Haslar and a helpful chap confirmed he is recorded as Walter Albert in their register. The applicable cross of sacrifice book (vol IV) also records him as Walter Albert, also contemporary information from the time I've seen shows him as Walter Albert, it just appears to be the on-line record which is out of step.

He was drowned during the infamous E13 submarine incident in the Baltic. There's an excellent account of the incident on the following website. (Search for E13 on the english version).

http://www.navalhistory.dk

Hopefully of interest,

regards,

Spud

Another point maybe to forward the info to the CWGC to correct the wrong info on Yearsley`s name as this is backed up with your additional paperwork and the national archive service records which clearly show the correct name.

Wulsten and Spud, this Yearsley's Admiralty death record.

YEARSLEY, WALTER A., STOKER 1c, K 3223 (Po), E 13 H.M. Submarine, 19-Aug-15, SHIP LOSS.

Best wishes

David

The other record of a w yearsley ??

Name Yearsley, William

Official Number: J33093

Place of Birth: Altrincham, Cheshire

Date 30 March 1898