Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff nurse Jessie Clarke

welshdoc

Hi all I have searched the LG using the obvious variations of

"Jessie Clarke" ," nurse Clarke" , "clarke, staff nurse" and so on but have failed to find her ARRC . Any ideas or does SL have the ARRC lists? She was in the QAIMNSR and Ive tried" Clarke Q.A.I.M.N.S.R" as well. Cheers Gareth

ps she was apparently "invested" in March 1920, if the paperwork does indeed belong to her.

Oh cummon guys and gals help please just spent another hour on the LG and still cant find her. Has Sue or anyone else got the book where all the RRC medals are listed? Id love to know if Im on a bit of a wild goose chase. GAreth

You could try doing a keyword search of the British Journal of Nursing which is on line at http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/

go to the Historical Nursing section

I have had some luck there finding info on Australian Nurses

Jennifer

Welsh Doc

I have all the RRC & ARRC details from its inception until the 1990s in the AMS Museum. I will have a look tomorrow.

Pete Starling

Thank you Peter, Ive an invite (apparently) for her to attend an Investiture and Party in March 1920 ,but this gives no idea of the award date (if any).

post-8435-1185116574.jpg

Just had a look through the index and also 'Army Honours and Awards' there are quite a few Clarks/Clarkes but none with the initial or name Jessie. Do you have any other ideas for Christian names or initials.

I will pm the museum telephone number in case you want to call and discuss.

Pete

found this for you - hopes it helps

search of WW1 medals at the

British national Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline

Description Medal card of Clarke, Jessie

Corps - Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve

Regiment No -

Rank - Staff Nurse

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

regards Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all that tried to help. I think the conclusion reached was that she was not awarded the ARRC but it was a relative possibly a sister. Gareth

Hi,

ARRC - The Royal Red Cross (2nd Class). Hope that this is of some help. Have also had a quick look on the RCN website, is interesting. Am a nurse and member of the RCN, but was unaware of this aspect of the RCN, is interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Gareth

I had a look at the only Jessie Clarke file at TNA where the surname has an 'e' on the end. I didn't know if it was the right one, as you didn't give any clues [not that you were obliged to :rolleyes: ] but this file [WO399/1520] referred to a woman from Tarporley, Cheshire, daughter of John Clarke, 46 High Street, Tarporley. She was born 15th October 1889, and trained at The Middlesex Hospital, London, 1911-1915. She served from 5/5/16 - 16/8/20, and moved to Canada in April 1921.

And at the end of all that, whether she's the right one or not, there was not a single mention of any awards - definitely no ARRC noted. If she is the right woman, I've got a bit of extra information about her if you contact me.

Sue

Gareth

I had a look at the only Jessie Clarke file at TNA where the surname has an 'e' on the end. I didn't know if it was the right one, as you didn't give any clues [not that you were obliged to :rolleyes: ] but this file [WO399/1520] referred to a woman from Tarporley, Cheshire, daughter of John Clarke, 46 High Street, Tarporley. She was born 15th October 1889, and trained at The Middlesex Hospital, London, 1911-1915. She served from 5/5/16 - 16/8/20, and moved to Canada in April 1921.

And at the end of all that, whether she's the right one or not, there was not a single mention of any awards - definitely no ARRC noted. If she is the right woman, I've got a bit of extra information about her if you contact me.

Sue

Many thanks Sue, I am 90% certain that you have found the correct nurse as I beleive she was from the Cheshire area where some of her affects were in a house clearance, one of which was her Victory medal and QAIMNSR silver badge. There was also an ARRC with the "party" invitation, this it would appear was not hers but possibly a relatives, unfortunately as you know there are lots of Clarkes!. The extra information you have so kindly supplied may give me some leads into a possible recipient I will have a have a look online tonight.

I would love any further information, I will Pm you. Mny thanks Gaeth

After an evening on Ancestry (very slow) I have now got two posssible names for the awardee which may be Jessie's sister.

Hannah Clarke VAD , St Johns Ambulance, Drill Hall Rochdale. (LG 9Aug 1919)

Ellen Clarke sister, The Middlesx hospital. (LG July 1919)

My question today is is it likely their home address (? Tarporly Cheshire) would be recorded in any of the available nursing award lists?

Gareth

The British Red Cross Archives could have a file on Hannah Clarke, and might have a home address for her.

BRCS personnel records

As for Ellen - if she was Jessie's sister, and born in 1874, she would have been a woman in her mid-40s at the time in question. If she continued to nurse after 1921, then her name would show up in the Registers of the General Nursing Council, copies of which are held at TNA [class DT10]. They show address at time of registration, but as a 40-something nursing sister at The Middlesex Hospital, I would think her 'home address' is likely to show up as either the hospital, or somewhere in London. Even Jessie has a Streatham address in her file post-war. The Archives for The Middlesex Hospital seem to be scattered far and wide around London - I suppose it's a question of how much it's worth it! Did you find Ellen in the 1901 census? I had a quick look, and couldn't find her - does that suggest she might have been married by that time?

You'd really think that the award was Jessie's wouldn't you? Of course, another thought - I suppose just the possibility that the letter wasn't hers, and was sent to the wrong Jessie Clark(e) :unsure:

Sue

Very interesting points Sue, i am now sure the letter and award (I have tha ARRC) were not to Jessie and am guessing it was to one of her sisters, I feel I think like you that Hannah is more likely. I cannot find Ellen after 1901, but then I do not have much of an idea about using Ancestry. I will though contact Jim at the Red cross to see if he can help (again).

I have tried to pm you Sue but cannot get a message through, so I would like again to thank you here for all your help in this research, if you have any other information you dont wish to place on the forum please pm me and I can send you my E mail address. Gareth

Gareth

This is the additional information:

Jessie Clarke: [TNA WO399/1520]

Born: 15 October 1889 in Tarporley, Cheshire

Father: John Clarke, 46 High Street, Tarporley, Cheshire, a retired engineer [although a blacksmith on the 1901 census!]

Mother: Dead

Educated: Ladies’ School, Forest Road, Tarporley.

Trained at The Middlesex Hospital, Mortimer Street, London, 4/12/11 – 2/11/15, which included one year as a Staff Nurse.

Transferred to the Middlesex Branch Hospital, Clacton, from 2/11/15 – 28/2/16 ‘nursing the wounded.’

Applied for Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve 21/2/16, whilst working at Clacton.

Appointed to Frensham Hill Military Hospital, Farnham, Surrey, from 5/5/16.

Overseas Service at the Military Infectious Hospital, Choubra, Cairo, from 12/10/17.

Contract terminated 16/8/20.

Proceeded overseas to Canada, April 1921.

However, she appears in DT10/5 [TNA] – the Register of the General Nursing Council for 1926, and as registration was renewed yearly, it suggests that she had returned from Canada and was nursing in the UK. The details in the Register:

Number in Register: 18757

Jessie Clarke

Trained Middlesex Hospital, London, Certificate 1911-1915

Address: 4 Fontaine Road, Streatham, London.

There seem to be problems on the Forum between those members who are happy to use email but not the PM system [ME] and those who are PM'ers but do not have a Forum email address [YOU] :wacko:

You can always contact me off list via the links on any of my web sites - the world and his wife seem to do so constantly!

Regards - Sue