Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where in the world...

David E I Jones

I have been researching

36339 ALFRED SAMUEL CARTER Air Mechanic 2nd

Born in West Ham, London, he enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps in 10/07/16. After basic training he was sent to Mesopotamia

From his Short Service records it say Alfred Carter died at “D” AP Mesopot of heat stroke on the 16 July 1917

Does anyone know what and where “D” AP. I'm guessing AP is aircraft park???

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

Not sure of the location of the Aircraft Park in Mespot, but the main military force was designated: Indian Expeditionary Force 'D'. So 'D' AP on the service record could stand for the Aircraft Park of IEF 'D'.

ALAN

Thanks Alan,

Gives me a little more to go on

Cheers

Dave

Dave

The Official History of The War in the Air Vol 5 and History of 30 Squadron both state that the the Advanced Aircraft Park with the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force moved up to Baghdad from Sheikh Saad during July 1917 having moved forward from Amara a few months before.

All accounts of Mespot state that temperatures where extremely high 120+ Fahrenheit in the shade - that's about 50 centigrade in new money.

Commonwealth war graves site : http://www.cwgc.org shows Airman Carter is buried in BASRA War Cemetery

If you want to know more about the movements of 30 Sqdn and the RFC in Mespot recommend:

History of No 30 Squadron published by Naval & Military Press ISBN 1843429926

In the Clouds Above Baghdad by Lt Col Tennant (CO 30 Sqdn) also recently reprinted by Naval & Military Press.

This book can also be downloaded for free from : http://www.archive.org which is well worth a search.

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks Mike

Even more to go on..

Much appreciated

Dave

Mike Thanks again

Was 30 Sqdn the only Sqdn in Mespot?

As Ive found a great passage in Clouds Above Baghdad (thanks for that too Mike)

“Two of our mechanics died on consecutive days; one officer and six other mechanics were invalided the same week; seven officers and thirty-two men of the squadron were in hospital; and out of the seven new pilots arrived to reinforce the thinned numbers of 30 Squadron three went into hospital at Busrah and one was put ashore from the river-boat on reaching Kut.”

Tennant is refering to the same period as AS Carter died, July 1917

Would be nice if I could tie the two..

Dave

• 2 months later...

Dave,

Sorry for the delay in responding, day job took me away for a while - RN.

63 Squadron did not arrive at Basra until 13 August 1917 so your man was pretty definately with 30 Squadron.

To give an indication of the effects of the heat 63 were reduced to 6 Officers and 70 men fit for duty out of 30 and 200 respectively within 2 weeks of arriving.

The Kite balloon sections also arrived in Aug 17.

72 Squadron flying amongst other aircraft Bristol M1 monoplane fighters did not arrive until March 1918.

Mike

The Kite balloon sections also arrived in Aug 17.

The RFC Kite Balloon section replaced the earlier RNAS section, just as the build up of RFC units made up the shortfall when the RNAS left. The units in Mesopotamia were known as Force "D"

You might find the following files at Kew informative:

AIR 1/505/16/3/37 Establishment of Aircraft Park in Mesopotamia 1916 Mar. - 1917 Aug.

AIR 1/674/21/6/87 The campaign in Mesopotamia 1914-1918