Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War and Peace starts tomorrow

Max Poilu

What's the state of the showground now after the downpour?

Parts of where the stalls are were flooded or just very muddy but that was nothing compared to the re-enactors/vehicle area which was just a quagmire.

In fact when I got home I went straight in the shower - waterproofs and boots and all. Everything from ankles down was just plastered.

By the end of the day it was truly awful; the tankodrome so badly churned up, an alternative exit had to be set up for traders. People plastered from head to foot in mud, and poor Soren's drawings blown all over the place. Weather got better by about 5pm, and set to be good tomorrow - we hope!

So when they say it's like Glastonbury with tanks they'd be right?

:lol::rolleyes::lol:

I feel sorry for you guys, here in Trnsylvania we hit over +40° Friday and its set to be even hotter today, now for the downside

27 Judets = counties, are on Orange alert due to the heat, all movement of Articulated lorries on the main roads has been banned because of the damage they are causing due to melting tarmacadam, and, countrywide we are averaging about 6-9 heat related deaths a day!!!

Connaught Stranger.

We were lucky, spent Wednesday and Thursday there in lovely sunshine (bar the last hour Thursday). However, just got back from the main annual Land Rover enthusiast show in Northampton - how can I put it? - quagmire, washout, bog, swamp, mudbath, morass, waterlogged, saturated...

:wacko:

Went on Thursday weather sunny with heavy down pour in afternoon.

Went back today with my Son, after spending 45 minutes in the traffic jam to get in with the rain pouring down,was in two minds should I go in or go home, not wanting to disappoint the boy, we went in.

To say it was muddy is an understatement, it was a toss up which one of us was going to slip over first!

Lucky the rain seemed to hold off in the afternoon.

My wife has had a sense of humor failure seeing the state of us when we arrived home, and our clothes complete with trainers have already had one encounter with the washing machine.

Did not see many bargains, and even the European dealers prices have risen since last year, I think they are now crossing out the Euro symbol and replacing it with the Pound.

Speaking to friends who have a stall there, business has been slow due to the weather, and were hoping to do well as the last few shows this year have been a wash out.

Plenty of military vehicles, and the Russian 38 litre combat tractor designed to bury tanks, was quite spectacular doing donuts in the arena, disapearing into a cloud of its own exhaust. Do not think they were concerned about global warming when that was designed.

The flying display by the Mustang was worth it as well.

Not much in the way of WW1 re-enactors or displays, mainly WW2.

Plenty of WW2 German, and the Tiger and Panther tanks were fearsome machines.

Lots of American kit, and a couple of Russian T34's. If you were after a jeep you could probably build one with the parts that were on sale.

As said before Military Oddesey, August bank holiday will probably have more WW1 interest.

Again this year I was told a couple of dealers have had there tents cut open in the night with items stolen.

Overall one of the top shows in the UK and well worth a visit despite the weather , but can work out expensive £15 for adults & £12.50 for kids.

This is what it was like - this was late lunchtime on Saturday:

871927530_9c7861d2c4.jpg

So bad, I couldn't get to most of the tanks, which were sinking in the mud just by sitting there!

871072141_f91c0d9f53.jpg

Highlight for me was meeting Johnson Beharry VC:

871931108_62c05dcfe5.jpg

Excellent photo's Paul

I have met Johnson a few times, very mild mannered man.

Still the scar always stands out.

Oh my god...it's almost as bad as the mud at T in The Park! I hope it didn't totally ruin your weekend!

Lynz :lol:

Thanks for pics Paul ... I am just so glad I went on Wednesday. Roll on Detling next month.

• 11 months later...

Anyone going to the 2008 show next week? I'll be there on Wednesday and Thursday.

Charles

Most of the WW1 living historians will be at Kelmarsh next weekend - I know of a few (around five) WW1 living historians going though

Will be there with at least 3 other forum members on wed. round 11ish til 1pm

With forum badge ;)

In about three hours I will be driving my Daf ya126 to Rosslare then to pembroke and thern to Beltring. Hope to get there by noon tommorrow. I will not be able to see any replies to this post. Watch out for the truck that says EXPLOSIVES on the front and has red flags on it and flying the dutch flag. I will not be far away.

Looking forward to it immensley.

regards.

Tom,

Will be there Wednesday morning straining at the gate - one of the highlights of the year as always. Hopefully it will not be a week of weather like we have had this last week in the SE...

Just got back from the opening day - hot and dusty and the same unique atmosphere as always. Loads of surplus and probably more 14-18 militaria to search out than I have seen for a few years. Most of it unfortunately in Regimentals' tent as usual but you will need verrry deep pockets. :rolleyes:

Anyone else there today?

I was there, a good day as always. Too much to pack in one day. I'll be there tomorrow on stand U41 (The Remembrance Line http://www.theremembranceline.org.uk/)

Will be there with at least 3 other forum members on wed. round 11ish til 1pm

With forum badge ;)

How much did ye get for the badge Dave ? lol

tafski