Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With Information

Guest jamesegg

Guest jamesegg

I have conducted research into my Grandfather’s brother death and have thus far I have been able to determine Jan Egbers was part of the 19th or 20th Infantry Divisions which took part in both the Eastern and Western Front

In June 1916 the 19th and 20th Divisions, were assigned to the 4th Austro-Hungarian Army and were engaged with the Russians in a sector near Kiselin.

In July the 4th Austro-Hungarian Army were near the villages of Raemyesto, Shchrrin, and Tristen as the Russian army advanced towards Kowel. (Brusilov Offensive)

Family records list Jan as being killed on 4 November 1916, in Poland. I know this area was part of Poland prior to 1921.

Does anyone have more detailed information about the movements of the 4th Austro-Hungarian Army or the 19th and 20th Divisions from July to November 1916

Also is there any casualty lists, war memorials or cemeteries in those areas that might contain additional information.

Thank you for any help

I was about to suggest the Austro-Hungarian land forces discussion but I see you have already found it. Good luck with the hunt. It will be interesting to see what you turn up.

James, The 79th IR mentions disembarking in Lubitow on 13 June and marched to Gruszowka and later to Kowel. (All locations are from the German spelling). The regimental index lists the following locations and actions in the time period you are looking at:

15 June through 27 July Battle on the Stochod and on the upper Styr=Stochod. Twerdyn-Janow 16 June

Zapust-Kisielin 17 through 19 June

Zubilno 21 through 24 June

Woronczyn 27 June through 10 July.

28 July through 4 November Battle by Kowel

Zaturze-Zarka

5 November through 16 November Position warfare on the upper Styr=Stochod.

From what I can determoine many of the sites are in what is now the Ukraine (Kovel modern name for Kowel?)

The German War grave site shows one record for any person named Egbers for 4 November:

Surname: Egbers

First name: Rudolf

Date of birth:

Place of birth:

Death/missing date: 04.11.1916

Death place:

He has no known burial location according to the site. There are not many cemeteries of German dead from the First War in Russia. It is possible the main site has further details and as the names are different it is probably not the same person you are looking for. I have a booklet somewhere that lists the German cemeteries from the war that currently exist. I will see if I can locate it and let you know what it shows.

Good luck.

Ralph

Jim, I found the German War graves book, unfortunately it only covers France, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. I tried the website but the details for the Ukraine, etc. is not available.

Ralph

Hi Jamesegg,

I had a look at my records of the following units, that belonged to the 19th and 20th Division and were involved in the fighting in Wolhynien and the battle of Kowel in 1916.

Infanterie Regiment Nr. 74, 77, 78, 79, 91 and 92

1st and 3rd Radfahr (bicycle) Kompanie of the Jäger Bataillon No. 10

Feldartillerie Regiment Nr. 10 and 62

Unfortunately, I did not find any fallen soldier with the name Jan Egbers. Are you sure about the 19th or 20th Division? Where did you get the hint? Do you have photos or additional information?

There are some few units left, that I don`t have in my archive. Of course there is a slight chance, that he might have been a member of one of these.

Feldartillerie Regiment Nr. 26 and 46

2nd, 3rd and 5th Eskadron Husaren Regiment Nr. 17

Minenwerfer Kompanie Nr. 19 and 20

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Kompanie Pionier Bataillon Nr. 10

Greetings from Germany!

Hinrich Dirksen

www.historiker14-18.de

Guest jamesegg

Hinrich Dirksen,

Thank you for you efforts,

I know that I am looking to a needle in a hay stack and as I collect more information I will share what I have. :)

Hello,

If you know the village where he lived in Germany, you could ask the registrar's office a copy of his death certificate. That should give you more information (probably place of death, unit etc.).

Regards,

Jan

Hello Jim,

I did some research for you during the last week as promised and finally found the needle in the hay stack.

As I thought, the 19th or 20th Division and Wolhynien/Russia was the wrong trace. Soldiers from the former german province of Hannover weren`t always necessarily allocated to the X. Armeekorps.

Your grandfather´s brother Jan Egbers was a member of the 5. Kompanie / Infanterie Regiment Nr. 187. He was born in Osterwald near Veldhausen in the "Grafschaft Bentheim" (please have a look at the upper map).

Between October 29th and November 5th, there was heavy fighting for Rosca mountain near Predeal (lower map) in Romania. He most likely died, when the regiment took the top of the mountain (1426 meters) on 4.11.1916.

Best regards

Hinrich

www.historiker14-18.de

ostwerwald.gif

predeal.gif

Hello Jim,

may be you are interested in some additional information.

Jan Egbers lived in Berge near Scheerhorn as a farmer and was married to Janna Lambers. Now it is certain, that he was killed in action on November 4th 1916 at 11am during the fighting for the Mt. Rosca. I changed the lower map a little bit. Now it shows the exact location of Mt. Rosza near Predeal.

Best regards Hinrich

www.historiker14-18.de

Hinrich,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Its dedicated people like you that make this type of research possible

It must be rewarding to know that after many years the family has only had limited information about Jan.

Now after your efforts, I will be able to share this accurate and complete account of when and where our loved one died.

Again thank you and if there is something I can do for you on this side of the big pond, please don’t hesitate to ask

James Egbers

:D