Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 sqn rfc

jamie 1978

Can anyone tell me what Brigade, 6 sqn were part of. Are there any books that will tell you this for all the squadrons.

thanks

jamie t

Under direct command of the GOC in March 1918, later under No. I Brigade. The Official History "The War in the Air" by H A Jones is a good source for this sort of detail (but its 7 volumes).

Patrick

Hi,

To keep a long answer relatively short, in 1914 Number 6 squadron was under the command of the GOC RFC but also carried out tactical reconnaisance for IV Corps. In November 1914, A and B flights moved to Bailleul to work with II Corps. In mid 1915, the squadron supported the Canadian Division of V Corps (under General Plummer), now being part of the 2nd Wing along with squadrons 5 and 8 for the 2nd Army. It's duties remained with V Corps into 1916 until half way through the period of the Battle of the Somme when it worked for a while with the I Anzac Corps and (when the Anzacs moved down to the Somme also) then with X Corps which replaced I Anzacs in October 1916 - Number 6 part of the 2nd Wing all of this time. The squadron worked with several Canadian and Australian infantry brigades whilst continuing in its role with X Corps into 1917 and through the third battle of Ypres. At the end of 1917 the squadron moved south with the intention of taking part in the Battle of Cambrai (supporting the Cavalry Corps) but this did not happen. Life became somewhat complicated for the squadron in 1918 - if you need more specific details let me know.

Regards

Steve