Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DH9 which aerodrome

chiddboy

I am starting out researching a great uncle who was in the RFC,all I have is a photo of him and maybe the pilot standing in front of a DH9.I have been told that this bi-plane was only based at a few aerodromes during the 14-18 war.Is there anyone that can tell me which these were.I have no military ID number for him,just that he was groundcrew(in later life he was a mechanic) so maybe that’s what he was then.

Thanks John

Unfortunately an awful lot of Dh9s were used at a lot of aerodromes. It was the Dh9A (which had a different engine and wings) that was only used in small numbers in WW1 (although a mainstay of the RAF after WW1). Can you post that photo and possibly I or other forum members may have a better chance of providing more info.

Photo of Dh 9 enclosed

And a Dh9A - which type does your photo show?

post-9885-1184587317.jpg

post-9885-1184587427.jpg

Well that's definitely a Dh9 which makes your task very difficult as over 20 squadrons were equipped with this type and it served in almost every theatre of war being based on a great many aerodromes.

The photo appears to show the crew. It was not unusual for some mechanics to also fly effectively as air gunners (not observers which required different training). As the Dh9 was a (mediocre) bomber rather than a rece aircraft it would make sense that your Great Uncle could be both mechanic and gunner

Hello Chiddboy...have you got any details about your Great Uncle, a name perhaps. In the photo you have posted, which one is he?

Andy

PS welcome to the forum.

Hello Chiddboy...have you got any details about your Great Uncle, a name perhaps. In the photo you have posted, which one is he?

Andy

PS welcome to the forum.

Hello Max.

George Frederick Basil Belchamber is his name and he is on the right of the two men in the photo.

John

With a name like that you may be able to find his medal card without other details, Go into the Long long trail (see the link next to forum rules) and it will tell you how to search. Do you mean their right or the viewers right. If the former then he was a sergeant which woould make hime easier to track.

BTW When replying donn't click on the first add reply link but go further down to where you'll find a second one. This avaods posting the previous message as a quote (unless you want to) and reduces bandwidth which keeps the forum management happier.

An additional item that might help - the RFC never used the Dh9 operationally - by the time squadrons had been formed and enough machines sent to France the RAF had been created. Therfore if your man went to France and has a medal card its most likely under RAF. RFC units in Britain with the type before March 31st 1918 were 99 sqdn mobilising at Old Sarum with seven machines and the Training Division with two

Definitely looks like aircrew, wearing a flying helmet and goggles and having a pilot's gauntlet on his right hand (holding what looks like the other gauntlet). Difficult to see on such a small phot but is that a set of pilots wings above his tunic pocket or a set of decorations? If asked 'blind' I'd have said he was an officer and pilot and the sergeant was his gunner.

Just a quick observation, the hardstanding under the aircraft and the smart footwear suggest this is probably in UK, possibly post war. Belchamber doesn't appear in the August 1918 RAF officers list and the NA medal list doesn't produce any answers which suggests his record might still be with the RAF.

Patrick

Just a quick observation, the hardstanding under the aircraft and the smart footwear suggest this is probably in UK, possibly post war. Belchamber doesn't appear in the August 1918 RAF officers list and the NA medal list doesn't produce any answers which suggests his record might still be with the RAF.

Patrick

The photo appears to have been taken in a hanger hence the hard standing - but could be anywhere. Dh9s disapeared from the RAF very rapidly after the end of the war - being replaced with Dh9As as fast as possible in those sqds not disbanded so if this is post war its likely to be only just post war

Patrick

Hi Patrick

The NA medals list, is that from the microfiche or just the online list you say there is no mention of Belchamber.I am due to go to the NA saturday to search for him.If he he isn't listed, it will save me a journey.

Also the DH9 seems to have a puncture,so I do wonder if it was only a random plane parked,that they decided to be photographed by.

John

John

Depending how far the NA is from you, I would start by writing to the RAF at P MAN 2b(1), RAF PMC HQ PTC, RAF Innsworth, Gloucester GL3 1EZ and see if they have his service record.

He is not in the medal list online and by my reading of the NA guide this would suggest a medal entitlement arising after 1 April 1918. He doesn't appear in the August 1918 officers list. You should check the London Gazette (on line) for his appointment to confirm his start date.

The photograph doesn't look like an operational unit, hangar with windows, very clean apart from oil patches. There appears to be a second DH9 in the background. That doesn't mean anything other than where that photo might have been taken. If you can get his service record the story will hopefully unfold.

I am assuming you made some assumptions about his being ground crew and RFC in the first place. From comments so far it looks most likely that he was RAF and a Pilot.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am really confused,TNA tell me RAF Innsworth keep the records,now RAF Innsworth have written back, to me to tell me now all records are with TNA.I have looked at AIR76/79 WOR 363/364 and theres no record of him.Is there anywhere else I can look?.Or do I assume his records were destroyed in WW2.

Can I thank everyone for your help so far,you have all been brillant.

John

I had dealings with Innsworth many years ago (when I was at CCTA looking at tools for measuring computer main frame performance - they had a particularly good one for the time). As I recall at that time Innsworth only held computerised records for serving personel and pensioners. Of course things may have changed since then.