Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Egypt air training

twinottercaptain

It has been a while since I have visited the Forum. My last posting questions had to do with my great uncle Sidney Newnham who was with the 10th (Yeomanry) Battalion East Kent Regiment (prior to 1 REKMR). I had conversation with Mick regarding information on operations of the unit, and eventually got a copy of Ponsonby's book.

My great uncle Sid, transferred over to the RFC in 1918, with 3 Cadet Wing, and later 193 Training Squadron and again with 22 Training Squadron, all about mid 1918.

The reason for this entry is that I have found a website of a fellow Canadian who has posted excellent photos, pictures and a diary of his father who was in Egypt in the same area and time as Uncle Sid.

I have attached a link to his site (hope this works) Be sure to browse thru the whole site. Some areas do pertain to his experience in Canada post war, even some early video links

http://www.kw.igs.net/~brianj/

Although this is a Great War Forum, I must take the opportunity to introduce people to a well kept secret. We have a flyable collection near Ottawa, Canada (Gatineau Airport in Quebec actually) of WWII aircraft including a Spitfire, Hurricane, Corsair, P-51, Lysander, and a Fairey Swordfish. Please visit :

http://www.vintagewings.ca/page?s=65

We have summer open houses between June and September on the first Saturday of each month. I'm proud to say I'm a volunteer in charge of ground marshalling.

Cheers to all and hope you enjoy the browsing

Thanks for this - I have just spent a long time on the Konnie Johannssen website. Some very interesting photos, especially of the captured LVG and Albatros D.V .

The diary seems to highlight just how common fatalities were even in training units.

I see Junkers W34 CF-ATF was flying as late as 1962 - it seems to have ended up in a museum (but not the one in your other link) - do you know if it still exists and flies?

Adrian

Thanks for this - I have just spent a long time on the Konnie Johannssen website. Some very interesting photos, especially of the captured LVG and Albatros D.V .

The diary seems to highlight just how common fatalities were even in training units.

I see Junkers W34 CF-ATF was flying as late as 1962 - it seems to have ended up in a museum (but not the one in your other link) - do you know if it still exists and flies?

Adrian

Adrian

The Junkers W34 is in the National Aviation Museum at Rockcliff Park in Ottawa[ an old RCAF base that dates back to WW1]

http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/collect...rsW34f-fi.shtml

It's a top notch facility that was rebuilt several years ago, I remember the old WW2 wooden hangers that originally housed the collection.

Fitzee

Thanks for that. Shame they didn't keep it flying - but I suppose if its literally the only one there is the dilemma about whether unique survivors should be flying.

Adrian