Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medical abbreviation ICT

edstanton

On 11/14/2016 at 22:58, mimosamiminski said:

It could be Adn wd slight,

I think this may be Adhesion wound, slight.

adhesion

[ad-he´zhun]

1. a fibrous band or structure by which parts abnormally adhere.
2. union of two surfaces that are normally separate, such as in wound healing or in some pathological process. Surgery within the abdomen sometimes results in adhesions from scar tissue; as an organ heals, fibrous scar tissue forms around the incision and may cling to the surface of adjoining organs. Adhesions are usually painless and cause no difficulties, but occasionally they produce pain, with or without obstruction or malfunction, by distorting the organ. They can also occur following peritonitis and other inflammatory conditions. They may occur in the pleura, in the pericardium, and around the pelvic organs, in addition to the abdomen.Surgery is sometimes required to release symptomatic adhesions.

Ron

As it happens I was trying to find a diary I spotted previously that categorised skin conditions or ailments. ICT is categorised along with boils and blisters. Then I have A field ambulance crib sheet that shows ICT as 'inflammation connective tissue, skin'. As has been said the connective tissue is the skin. To die of ICT buttocks sounds severe but if ICT was the cause then secondary infection that causes suppuration still means ICT was the cause. A GSW could kill by loss of blood, internal damage to organs, infection or exploratory surgery. All such cases would give GSW as cause of death.

TEW

• 3 years later...

My Great Grand Uncle got wounded at the onset of the battle of Hill 70. On 15-8-17 he was admitted to the field hospital. His wounds were described as 'I.C.T. Face'. He was released 10 days later. 

Thankful for the meaning of ICT, but sounds horrible when connected to the face.

• 8 months later...

Hello

I am new to this forum and would like to thank the admins for allowing me to join.

Both of my grandfathers were in the infantry in WW I. I'm not sure of all of the battles they fought in but know that both had the misfortune of attending the Battle of the Somme.

In regards to the topic of "ICT LT LEG", I would like to contribute what little information I have.

I have my paternal grandfather's war records, and in several places there is referenced him being hospitalized in 1917 for a period with what was called ICT LT LEG. I had wondered several times what this meant, and my query led me to this site.

The other night I was looking more closely at his records, and discovered a piece I had not noticed before. In it, a Canadian surgeon intimately described my grandfather's condition as a large boil on the back of his left thigh. The treatment involved lancing the boil, allowing it to suppurate for several days and soaking it in epsom salts.

Is it possible that ICT stood for Infection Connective Tissues?

Edited by Traveller
typo

• 2 years later...

Can just add to this ( better late than never ) I have been researching a soldier who suffered from skin complaints due to riding mules , his record states While riding a mule he noticed pimples on his seat these swelled and formed abscesses, he was sent to no2 general hospital where he had an operation , he returned to England where he was sent to Lewisham Military Hospital where he spent about two months in recovery. His hospital entry for Lewisham states 61 days ICT Pyodermia.