Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lisbon Military Museum

bushfighter

IMAGES DELETED TO CONSERVE BANDWIDTH

I have been there although it was a couple of years ago and it is quite spectacular museum I was under the impression that Photography was prohibited within the museum itself though as i only have one picture in the courtyard with the cannon?

regards

Thanks bushfighter for the pictures

The only reference to the Portuguese in most British histories of the war is that they broke on the first day of the German offensive of March 1918. I'm sure there is more to their part in the fighting than that and it would be interesting to know more. Perhaps you could enlighten us in this or another thread?

cheers Martin B

Martin

I'm not a Western Front expert so I'll refer you to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal_in_the_Great_War

This explains the condition of the Portuguese troops, which is doubtless why the Germans targeted them.

It also describes the Portuguese Artillery support given to the French Army, which accounts for the amount of Artillery exhibits in the Lisbon Military Museum.

I would welcome comments from other more knowledgable Western Front researchers.

Regards

Harry

I have enjoyed this thread...thank you.

TT

Hello All who responded

If you would like to continue the journey then please click on: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...st&p=727087

where there are more Lisbon images & then Belgian ones from Ternuven.

The Brussels Royal Museum of the Armed Forces & of Military History is yet to come!

Regards Harry

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these!

Many years have passed since I visited Lisboa and toured the museum; my (now long gone Ex) girlfriend came from Azambuja (about 50 miles from Lisboa) and we spent many hours going through the museum.

During our visit there were a large number of Portuguese soldiers working downstairs and we had a good chat (through my girlfriend) about items store there.

Owen, something must have happened to the pictures because they were there last month. Maybe it was when the forum was down at the end of July.

Ann

Owen, something must have happened to the pictures because they were there last month. Maybe it was when the forum was down at the end of July.

Ann

After the site ran out of bandwidth last time there was the usual criticism of images being posted when many people, it appears, just want to see script.

(I believe strongly in images as they are worth more than 999 words to those who want to see them. I suggested an answer to the site owner - that the archives be periodically emptied & put on searchable CDs & sold to Members at cost to avoid copyright problems. There is a wealth of valuable research information on the site, particularly in images which when verified are an indisputable source. We must not lose this information.

Any decision on that lies with the site owner.)

In the meantime the view of the "flat earth" script-only Members always seems to prevail so I decided to remove several threads of images to free up bandwidth. I couldn't delete the posts so I deleted the images.

Appologies if this inconveniences you.

Regards

Harry