Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT WAR

brindlerp

A month ago I visited the local library with a list of 14 books about the Great War.

The library only had one of them on the county library database.

I was very surprised to find that in the whole county, there was not even one reference copy of the Official History Of The Great War.

Does your library have a copy?

Regards

Richard

Guest Pete Wood

Mine doesn't. It is held by the Central Library for many counties/cities.

I've lived in 4 different counties in the last 10 years and always had to travel to the central stores to find the 'difficult' titles....

Accrington (Lancashire) Library has the full set.

Dave

National Library of Scotland has full set as does the reference section of Edinburgh Central Library. The libraries face each other across George IV Bridge in Edinburgh!! :unsure:

Aye

Malcolm

Birmingham Central Library has the full set (military anyway, not sure about naval or air) plus a set of CWGC registers.

The PRO library has military, naval and air sets, as well as many Divisional and other unit histories.

Wimbledon Library had a set on display until recently, I understand they have now been placed in storage. Anyone in the South London Area wanting a good collection of WWI literature should visit Wandsworth Library. I understand that some years ago certain London Libraries elected to hold reserve colections on various subjects. Wandsworth selected - or was given - the Great War. They also had, when I last visited helpful librarians which seem to have become a rare breed!

I would confirm David Filsell's comments on the Wandsworth West Hill library, which happens to be my local one. An excellent collection on the two world wars, with continuingly helpful librarians.

Charles M