Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified Badges - Canadian, Commonwealth?

MarkMcM

Hi All,

Totally stumped on these two. Canadian or some other commonwealth units? The letters under the winged wheel are 'R.&.H.B.'. The rifles on the DCR badge appear to be Ross rifles. Anybody???

:D

post-23149-1184416439.jpg

post-23149-1184416592.jpg

Hi,

Thanks. I absolutely agree regarding the transport connection of the first badge. I doubt the other is American (lugs on reverse are same as any British/Commonwealth badge).

I cannot identify either badge ( still searching ) but the South African MotorCyclist Corps had a winged wheel similar to the one on the first badge. I rather think another similar badge might have been the subject of a thread in the past.

P.B.

Hi,

The first badge is Railways & Harbours Brigade [south African].

Used during WW2, made in bronze; brass badges were adopted in 1946 & were worn until 1951.

ARMY BADGES AND INSIGNIA OF WORLD WAR 2 [bOOK2] by Guido Rosignoli.

As for the second badge, I have had a look through my book on WW1 CEF cap badges & none of those seem to fit, also the latin motto does not correspond with any mottoes listed in it. I don`t think it is WW2 Canadian either.

Could those crossed rifles be springfields? More likely for District of Columbia, as if it were Canadian wouldn`t it be BC for British Columbia?

Hope this helps,

ARABIS.

Thanks again. While lugs may not be a good guideline in the general sense, I think they fairly rule out any American connection. The only American badge I've ever seen with British style lugs was an American Contingent, Shanghai Volunteer Corps badge.

I have done a little digging and found that "Vox Clamantis In Deserto" means "The voice of one crying in the wilderness"

The badge appears to show "In Di Serto" which I cannot find. Is it possible that the "I" in Di is actually an "E"?

If so apart from other things this is the motto of Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA

So could the badge be from perhaps a cadet company. the "First Dartmouth College Rifles" for example?

I hasten to add I haven' t actually found such a cadet corps, but it does seem to fit the badge.

Just a thought..still looking

Brian

Ross vs. Springfield. My money's on the Ross...

post-23149-1184425235.jpg

post-23149-1184425256.jpg

The motto/DC/Dartmouth College thing is a bit too coincidental. Have fired an e-mail off to the college historian. Will see what comes back.....

Dear Pals.

Could it be a shooting award for a rifle club? The 'first' could indicate the level of expertise and the intitials the club itself.I have a very vague memory that there were 'defence rifle clubs' in South Africa- we used to have a similar system in Australia.

Greg

I don't know if this will give any clues, but the phrase comes from the Bible (Isaiah 40:3)

The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

Most commentaries interpret Isaiah's prophecy as referring to John the Baptist.

Tom