Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM Charles William Wykeham King-Artists Rifles

larney

Hi,

On the War Memorial in my Home Town of Laugharne, in West Wales, is the name of C.S.M. Charles William Wykeham King, of the 28th Battalion, London Regiment-Artists Rifles.

Charles was born in Wykeham, Surrey, and at the outbreak of war, he was living at the Vicarage in Laugharne, and entered war on the 26th October, 1914, aged 30. Charles was married to Ida, who after the war must have remarried, becoming Ida L. Lane, of 80, Shrewsbury Road, New Southgate, London.

Charles was with the Battalion near Tyne Cot, when he was killed by a German Shell, on the 28th October, 1917. The Regimental Record of the Artists Rifles gives a brief account of the Battalion losing their C.S.M. C.W.W. King, and he was buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery, where he still lies today.

I have researched the time around his death at Passchendaele, but have come up with nothing about his possible pre-war service, and how he came to be awarded the Al Valore Militaire. His MIC gives his first theatre of war as BEF 1914.

Were the Artists in France then, or was he with another Regiment? The Artists were near Oppy from July 1917, and was ordered to Ypres in October. Who would Charles have been with in France from 1914 until his death, as the Artists (I think) were an OTC Battalion based in the UK until then? Also did he serve pre-war? (His service papers are among the missing ones and can not be found).

Finally a very long shot- does anyone know of the possibility of a photograph with him in? I have tried the e-mail link on the Artists Rifles Association web-page, but my e-mails keep bouncing back.

I would be very grateful for any information.

Cheers,

Steve.

soldiers died confirms place of birth, he enlisted in London (bit vague) and lived in Catford

medal index card details

Medal card of King, Charles W W

Corps Regiment No Rank

London Regiment 421 Serjeant

London Regiment 760032 Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

so seems this was his only regiment for ww1 service

have you tried the local paper for a picture ?

• 1 month later...
have you tried the local paper for a picture ?

Hi Coldstreamer,

sorry to be so late replying, but I have been computerless for a while in France, so have a lot of catching up to do!

I have checked for his service papers (not available), and have his MIC, and the local papers only have a short obituary. I am hoping that as a CSM that there may be a photograph somewhere with him in. I have a copy of the Artists Rifles History of the Great War, and there is a good obituary of him in there, but sadly no photo.

Cheers, Steve.

There are some ninety Foreign awards detailed in the Artists Rifles records, some awarded with the Artists and some with other battalions that they had gone on to. The awards range from singles from Roumania to a large number of Croix de Guerre (both French and Belgian). IIRC, Foreign awards were made for actions with the BEF, and it may well be that is the reason for King's award.

His MIC gives his first theatre of war as BEF 1914.

Were the Artists in France then,

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve

From the main site.

1/28th (County of London) Battalion TF (Artists Rifles)

August 1914 : in St.Pancras. Army Troops attached to 2nd London Division.

28 October 1914 : moved to France. Established as an Officers Training Corps.

28 June 1917 : transferred to 190th Brigade, 63rd Division.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to all for your replies.

I had actually forgotten about this post, and have just stumbled across it, so apologies for my belated thanks!

I have just discovered how to watch postings/threads!

Steve J.