Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

T. E. Sandall, 5th Lincolnshire

saberhagen427

Edited 11 July 2012: this has moved to http://www.5thlincs.investigationsofadog.co.uk/

I've been working on digitizing Sandall's history of 1/5th Lincs, and I'm pleased to say that there is now an interim version available on the web. It's still a work in progress and there's much more to be done. This version is just the basic text all on one big web page, but it's there if anyone needs to look things up, and at least it's easy to search the whole thing using the Find feature in your web browser. Be aware that there might still be some scanning errors in it. Also I've preserved some of the typos from the original text: there are some dates in the medal roll which are obviously wrong (month given as 14!) but at this stage I haven't attempted to correct them. The epilogue about the reconstitution of the battalion after the war isn't included because its copyright status is uncertain. Although I've included the list of illustrations for reference, the illustrations themselves won't be appearing.

In the future I'll be improving things a lot. I'm intending to split it up so that each chapter appears on its own web page; link to scans of the original pages; put in a mechanism for readers to suggest corrections; index and link together all the people, places, units and formations (and possibly link them to external sources for more information); and write a new introduction and/or biographical notes on Sandall. You can find more background information and notes on progress on my blog.

NB: you can't do this with just any book, as many works from this period are still under copyright. I made sure that this text was in the public domain, since Sandall died more than 70 years ago (31st May 1930 - thanks to Stebie for tracking down his Times obituary).

[mods: please close the other Sandall thread in this forum as it has been superceded by this one.]

Fantastic work. I'm in touch with Capt Sowter's nephew who will be delighted to see this.

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought Blackwell held the copyright for the history of the 5th...........thats why it says Blackwell on the spine of the book.

Not an organisation I would like to upset as they may have a few quid to throw around from the millions they have made from Harry Potter.

Publish their material on the net at your own risk!

Steve.

Copyright resides with the author. As Gavin says:

NB: you can't do this with just any book, as many works from this period are still under copyright. I made sure that this text was in the public domain, since Sandall died more than 70 years ago

And that's also why I haven't published the epilogue by Major Teall or any of the photos.

It's possible that at some point in the future parliament will retrospectively extend copyright terms, as they did in 1988, but until then Sandall's work is in the public domain, and I have his death certificate to prove it.

All books and journals published by Blackwell Publishing are held under copyright. We endeavour to protect copyright on behalf of our authors and ourselves and we ask you to respect copyright when using our material. Please be aware that there may be fees involved when material held under copyright is reproduced or translated.

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/rights/

I dont need a degree in law to know the meaning of the word "all".

The copyright resides in the author but lapses 70 years after the author's death. The publisher may well "endeavour to protect copyright on behalf of our authors and ourselves" whilst the author is alive but the copyright expires 70 years after the author's death and they no longer have any such control. It is for this reason, I presume, that Naval and Military Press happily re-publishes other regimental histories. The copyright has expired.

• 5 months later...

I've now uploaded a new version. It's the same address as before but if anyone's linked to individual chapters the old links won't work any more because I've changed the way internal links work. It's still all on one page as I've still got to work out how to make XSLT split the output into multiple files.

There are now links to scanned pages and a working index: if you click on a page number in the index it takes you to the corresponding part of the text. More improvements should be coming soon.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest version is now available at the same address. There are now separate pages for each chapter, but you can search the whole book easily using the Google search box at the top of each page. Names in the text are now links which point to indexes of people and places. These indexes are interactive: you can search, sort, and filter the lists of names. The place index also has a map so you can see where places are. The index of people contains links to MICs and CWGC entries where applicable.

There are still lots of things to do, such as making it look nice. It's also lacking a feedback mechanism but if you find any problems with it you can leave a reply here or on my blog.

Thanks are due to Chris Bailey and several other forum members for helping me out with identifying people.

Gavin,

I've transcribed all the gallantry citations for the 5th Lincs so if you would like a copy to reference into your website then let me have your email address and I'll send you the file.

Regards,

Jonathan

• 4 years later...

Sandall's history of 5th Lincs has now moved to http://www.5thlincs.investigationsofadog.co.uk/

The old address will automatically redirect to the new one, but this won't last forever, so please update any links and bookmarks. I've removed the medal citations as I'm less sure about their copyright status now. The guidance I've seen doesn't make it very clear whether the new Open Government Licence automatically applies to Crown Copyright material in local record offices.