Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

39 Siege Battery RGA

RedCoat

Hi all,

Could anyone give me any details about 39 Siege Battery please, as my Great Grandad served with the Battery until he was wounded in July/August 1916. Does anyone have a copy of the war diary that covers these months? Also what was the acctual rank structure within a battery I.E how many officers? and their responsibilities.

Thanks, Donnie

Donnie,

The HAG diaries for 39 SB you require covering that period, are that of 24 Brigade from 7/5/16 to 27 Brigade on the 9/6/16 which they were with until Jan 1917.

Formed in 1915 at Sheerness it went out to the Western Front 2/11/1915 and a diary survives for them from Nov 1915 to early 1918 at WO95/220. A battery of 4 x 8in Hows, some of the best sequence of IWM action photos of them in Aug 1916 can easily be found on the internet. (indeed of any 8 in How battery) The added bonus being the photos give you the exact position of 39 SB. In Aug 1916 they should of had a compliment on paper of 220, inclusive of 8 Officers, 1 BQMS, 10 Serjeants and 2 trumpeters. In reality it was 108 inclusive of 7 Officers and 5 Serjeants, with 103 reinforcements about to join indicative of the scale of action at the time.

Rgds Paul

I have electronic copies of the war establishments for various kinds of siege batteries that were in force in the autumn of 1916. I am happy to send these to you via e-mail, but must give fair warning that the each page takes up nearly a megabyte of memory.

Hoplophile,

My interest is 7th Siege Bty RGA ( 4 X 6" Guns) Could you please send me a copy of their establishment.

Thanks

Terryb95

West Aust

Dear Terry,

If you send me a PM with your regular e-mail, I can send you the establishment for 1916.

Best wishes,

Bruce