Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

John84

Do any 'Pals' have an account please of the action the 10th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards) were involved in on the 11th April 1917. I know the battalion was with the 62nd Brigade, 21st Division, and that the division where at Arras on this day. But that's about it.

As ever any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John.

John,

10th Yorkshires were in the front line south east of Henin-sur-Cojeul facing the Hindenburg Line.

On the morning of the 11th they attacked at 6-00am with the 1st Lincolns but came up against enemy wire of unusual thickness and which had not been damaged by the artillery fire.

Battalion were unable to get through and bunched up suffered heavy losses, 2 officers were KIA and 120 NCO's and men were killed or wounded.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob.

John,

10th Yorkshires were in the front line south east of Henin-sur-Cojeul facing the Hindenburg Line.

On the morning of the 11th they attacked at 6-00am with the 1st Lincolns but came up against enemy wire of unusual thickness and which had not been damaged by the artillery fire.

Battalion were unable to get through and bunched up suffered heavy losses, 2 officers were KIA and 120 NCO's and men were killed or wounded.

Hope this is of some help.

Bob.

Bob

Cheers mate, lovely stuff, just what I was after.

Thanks

John.

John,

I have the war diary of 62nd brigade for that period. Please PM me.

Arm

John,

I have the war diary of 62nd brigade for that period. Please PM me.

Arm

Arm

Thanks a lot, it will all help with my research...PM on the way.

John

John,

Sent 2 e-mails of info that should help. Sorry for the delay. Let me know you have recieved as I am having some comms problems.

regards

Arm