Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

p.o.w. information

calvin

hello, can anyone enlighten me as to this record, ralph counte no. 61423 pte. regt. 293, p.o.w. service record abroad 9 months service record home 3 months, 190 hope street grimsby. can anyone tell me if i can find out more about him from this info. thankyou, john

Hi John,

That doesn't look like a British reference. Does it relate to a German POW in England?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

hello, can anyone enlighten me as to this record, ralph counte no. 61423 pte. regt. 293, p.o.w. service record abroad 9 months service record home 3 months, 190 hope street grimsby. can anyone tell me if i can find out more about him from this info. thankyou, john

hello, i have seen a photo of him and it looked like a british uniform, there was also the british flag on the photo, to my recollection i think he was in the lincolns but that info came from the men of grimsby service cards index. thanks john

hello, i have seen a photo of him and it looked like a british uniform, there was also the british flag on the photo, to my recollection i think he was in the lincolns but that info came from the men of grimsby service cards index. thanks john

John,

You're right he served with Lincolnshire Regt, number 61423, awarded BWM and VM, his MIC is posted below

post-4619-1184095179.jpg

cheers

Mike

hello mike, thanks for that, can you tell me how you can get the mic,s also is there anyway i can find where he was taken prisioner, thanks again, john

Hi there John,

There is a section on the Forum called "Behind the wire", although not its not complete by no means if your man's not there its give general help on how to research them.

Cheers Roger.

hello roger, thanks for that, i will give it a go, regards john

• 4 weeks later...

hello all, i just would like to add a further question on this subject, is it possible to find out roughly were he was taken prisioner based on the info. posted, thankyou all, regards, john

John

From the fairly sparse material and the service number, it looks as if he could have been taken as a POW during the German Spring Offensive of 1918. (Just a guess)

regards

Mel

thanks mel, do you know were the lincolnshire regt. was at that point in time or were i could find that information, thanks again, regards, john