Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Smart

Blackblue

Don’t know if anyone can help me. I am trying to track a great great uncle…George Smart…who served with the South African Constabulary. I obtained his Boer War service papers some time ago from the Free State Archives in South Africa (thanks Kath). He was born in Glamis, Forfarshire, Scotland on 10 Feb 1880 and signed up in Scotland in February 1901 for a 3 year engagement. He then appears to have left the SAC in early 1903, and briefly joined the Central South African Railways, before ending up back in the SAC by October 1903. His papers show that he initially served with E Division as a Trooper. The last date his service papers record is April 1904 when he is serving as a Constable with C Division in Johannesburg. The papers give no indication what happened to him after this time.

I am particularly interested in what he did during the Great War. His local Battalion at Glamis was the 5th Black Watch, whom other relatives served with. However he may have either returned to Scotland, remained in South Africa or done something else altogether. I think he became a seaman at some stage, as he died in Sydney in 1927 when he fell from his ship when on the way to visit my great grandfather....so he may also have joined the Navy or Merchant Navy.

I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction to try and ascertain what he did after 1904…and when he left the South African Constabulary and South Africa. I have contacted the Armed Forces Archives there to ascertain whether he served with the South African Forces during the Great War.

Any further tips...or anyone who has access to passenger lists to try and see if and when he went home...would be much appreciated. Are there service papers for those who served in the Royal Navy and Merchant Marine?

Rgds

Tim

Thanks Kevin. I may look into this. Problem is that there are a very large amount of George Smart's in the Medal Index Cards and no way of telling which is him...unless I come up with some other evidence. I don't think he would have had enough service to qualify for a Police Medal. Does anyone know about searching Ryoal Navy and Merchant Marine records?

Rgds

Tim

Thanks Kev,

No luck there. The Seamans Register is pre 1900 I believe.

Rgds

Tim

Finally a breakthrough on this man. I had some research done in SA on the possibility he stayed after the Boer War...and he did!! Looks like he had a very interesting war indeed. I have never seen someone in so many different Corps.

Attested 13.11.14 in 2nd Mounted Rifles (Natal Carbineers), No 138.

Transferred to Railway Regiment 8.7.15.

Provisionally released 19.11.15.

Re-attested 1st Mounted Brigade, 2nd SA Horse, No 2361, 27.1.16.

Embarked for East Africa 7.4.16.

Disembarked at Durban on return 18.2.17.

Discharged 21.8.17 temporarily unfit.

Re-attested 8.11.17 SA Field Artillery, Gunner, No 2475.

Discharged 17.11.17 to re-attest in King's African Rifles as a Machine Gun Sergeant, No KAR 131.

Discharged physically unfita 22.1.18.

Re-attested Pay Corps, Sergeant, No P470, 31.1.18.

Discharged 3.3.18 services being no longer required.

Re-attested SASC Mechanical Transport, driver, No MT7815, 19.3.18.

Embarked at Durban for East Africa 25.6.18.

Disembarked at Durban on return 19.12.18.

Discharged 9.2.19 on demobilisation.

Anyone information on these units..particularly the ones he saw operational service with..would be much appreciated. He appears to have served in East Africa between April 1916 and February 1917 with the 2nd SA Horse...and again between June and December 1918 with the South African Service Corps.

Rgds

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Have received George's service papers from RSA...including 6 seperate Attestations!

It seems he served in German South West Africa in 1914/1915 and then German East Africa in 1916 and 1918. In 1916 he was quite ill....malaria, blackwater fever etc...and was originally discharged due to this.

I have found that George was discharged under Kings Regs twice....under 392 (iii)© and then 392(xxv)...can anyone tell me what these regs were?

I suspect he may not have fully disclosed his previous illness and its seriousness.

Rgds

Tim

Never mind...found it in The Long Long Trail:

(iii) Not being likely to become an efficient soldier

© Recruit within three months of enlistment considered unfit for service

(xxv) His service being no longer required

Rgds

Tim