Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"V" 59th T.M. Battery R.F.A.

Terence Munson

Hello - I've been a member of the Forum for a little over two years and in that time the membership has more than doubled so I was wondering if any member (New recruit or Old Sweat) has a special interest in the 59th Division and or its 'V' (Heavy) Trench Mortar Battery and has information to share?

I've not progressed my research of this Division and Battery for some time having been attracted and side-tracked by the many varied topics on the GWF, especially Ships and Navies which is another of my special interests.

Any info would be appreciated.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers Terry

You might find something of interest in the war diaries of the trench mortar batteries of the 59th Division or the divisional history.

Hoplophile, Thanks for these links - I had been led to believe diaries of the 59th trench mortar batteries didn’t exist or hadn’t survived so these will be top of my list on my next visit to Kew.

I bought the book 59th Division 1915 - 1918 from N & M press some time ago but it is not the history, more a collection of reminiscences and descriptions by various individuals, some of real interest, especially on the rebellion in Dublin, Easter 1916. Others I have to say totally unreal and disappointing given the carnage at the time on the Western Front.

Thanks again,

Cheers Terry

The trick to finding the war diaries of divisional (X, Y and Z) trench mortar batteries is to search for the division as a whole and then use the 'browse from here' function to look through the list of divisional troops. In many cases, you will find the war diary of the divisional trench mortar officer as well as the war diaries of the individual divisional trench mortar batteries.