Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hms bellerophon

calvin

hello all, can anyone help me to find out more about this person, robert william gallant of grimsby service no. 391 ab ldg. deck hand hms bellerophon. lived at 9, taylor terrace, hope street grimsby. there was the battleship bellerophon but i am pretty sure there was a trawler called the bellerophon. can you help me to find out which ship he was on, thankyou john p.s. his name was on the men of grimsby service list for the great war. thankyou

Bellerophon was a battleship.

Bellerophon II was a trawler.

It all depends on what is on his service card, as the distintion might not be made on the service list. Being on the battleship Bellerophon would have been more impressive.

hello all, can anyone help me to find out more about this person, robert william gallant of grimsby service no. 391 ab ldg. deck hand hms bellerophon. lived at 9, taylor terrace, hope street grimsby. there was the battleship bellerophon but i am pretty sure there was a trawler called the bellerophon. can you help me to find out which ship he was on, thankyou john p.s. his name was on the men of grimsby service list for the great war. thankyou

hi

he was on the dreadnouught battleship hms bellerophon as you say is name and ship are on grimsby sevice list regards,tony

John,

Most probably the Trawler, this is on the 'Grimsby absent voters' list.

GALLANT, George Angus

127 Grafton Street

1822 S.T. Trmr., R.N.R. Pembroke II.

GALLANT, Robert

127 Grafton Street

319 Lg.Dk.Hd., R.N.R.T, R.N. Bar'cks, P'smouth

Regards Charles

John,

Most probably the Trawler, this is on the 'Grimsby absent voters' list.

GALLANT, George Angus

127 Grafton Street

1822 S.T. Trmr., R.N.R. Pembroke II.

GALLANT, Robert

127 Grafton Street

319 Lg.Dk.Hd., R.N.R.T, R.N. Bar'cks, P'smouth

Regards Charles

hi charles , same men on grimsby servicemen list, different address

Gallant , George - 27 Grafton St.

Trimmer

Gallant, Robert William - 9 Taylor Terrace, Hope St.

391AB - Ldg. D.H. - H.M.S. Bellerophon

tony

hi charles , same men on grimsby servicemen list, different address

Gallant , George - 27 Grafton St.

Trimmer

Gallant, Robert William - 9 Taylor Terrace, Hope St.

391AB - Ldg. D.H. - H.M.S. Bellerophon

tony

photo taken 11 /11.1918 hms bellerophon .tony

photo taken 11 /11.1918 hms bellerophon .tony

These guys are trawlermen or matelows?

:ph34r:

Kind Regards,

SMJ

These guys are trawlermen or matelows?

The 'ladies' seem to have remarkably 'good' legs for sailors. Could this perhaps be a professional concert party?

I would think these are Matlots many a good SODS opera has been performed by Matlots, nice legs huge adams apples.

Regards Charles

The 'ladies' seem to have remarkably 'good' legs for sailors. Could this perhaps be a professional concert party?

professional sailors yes , say no more, tony

hello all, i have just been reading your comments, thankyou ,they are very interesting, i will check out the electoral rolls for 1918/19 and see what matches address wise, thankyou all again, regards john

hello all, i have found a little more, i went to the local archives today and looked up the service record cards for ww1, it states robert william gallant 391AB LDG DECK/HAND, HMS BELLEROPHON, YEARS SERVICE ABROAD 4YEARS 5 MONTHS, HONOURS D.S.M. AND 1 M.I.D. ADDRESS, 9TAYLORS TERRACE, HOPE STREET GRIMSBY, this was my great uncle as i found his wife mary gallant (nee baxter) who was my great aunt with him on the electoral rolls. i don,t know if this will help to differentiate as to what bellerophon he was on. any further help would be gratefully received, thanks once again, john

thankyou charles, i found the mid in the gazette but no mention of dsm, could this have been a error on his service index card in grimsby or possibly any reason for not been in the gazette. thanks john

thankyou charles, i found the mid in the gazette but no mention of dsm, could this have been a error on his service index card in grimsby or possibly any reason for not been in the gazette. thanks john

Hello John

Could be a mistake. No entry for W. Gallant in either DSM book by Fevyer or Hayward.

Regards

John

hello john, thanks for the info. it looks like a mistake, like i said i found the mid straight away in the london gazette but nothing about the dsm, thanks again regards john

There is no mention on his RNR service cards.

As you can see he served on His Majesty's Hired Trawler.

post-5692-1184282796.jpg

thanks for that, i appriciate the help, regards, john