Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"One off" Surnames

susanhemmings

Apart from my own weird "Surname" of which there are more than a few on the MiCs;I have among other unique names.a 1914~15 star trio to a Pte Albasing,a Swiss National; who served in the 12th Cyclists Corps & Leicestershire Regt

Pte Albasing ACC NA Link

Facinating. All those different unique surnames...

SHPUNT, S Private 33666 17/05/1918 Unknown Border Regiment United Kingdom II. B. 30. EBBLINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY. Son of Mr. Shpunt, of Petroski 63, Caucasus, Russia.

Took the photo a week or so ago.

Chris C

Robert Manifould of the Devonshire Regiment.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=1759252

Remembered on the St James School memorial at Sutton & Macclesfield Memorial. Born at Sutton but appears to have married & moved away later in life.

I am currently having some building work done by a contractor by the name of Geoghagan and was surprised to find that there is only one man with that comparatively frequently-occurring Irish surname on the CWGC database for WW1 (and he was in the South African Medical Corps) and none at all for WW2.

Siege; (Mick)

Crumbs, THAT is even more fascinating!

Susan.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another 'one off' to add to your list, Susan. Richard Baggin, who is honoured on the All Souls War Memorial, Blackman Lane, Leeds.

BAGGIN, Richard Pte. No. 8252 [1st South Wales Borderers] K.I.A. 26-9-1914 Age: Unknown Born: Rotherham-Yorks. Enlisted: Leeds. Cemetery-Memorial: La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial.

Cheers,

Dave

• 14 years later...

Dear All,

A. Lamb, Military Farms Department, Indian Army.

Kindest regards,

Kim.1021347407_A.A.LambMilitaryDairyFarm.jpg.a13fab9bb76b9b8ab2b6451b07b9b399.jpg

On 08/07/2007 at 13:19, alliekiwi said:

Paiva is actually a Portuguese and Italian name. Unless it's coincidence that there is an Indian name with the same spelling as the Portuguese/Italian one?

Bit of a late reply, but nonetheless: that part of India (Kerala) was colonized by the Portuguese. Goa, which is further up the coast, was held by Portugal until the 1960s. Lots of people in that area have Portuguese surnames.