Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos from Great War exhibition

Desmond7

Museum Service have been kind enough to pass on a disk of high quality pictures taken by their prof. snapper of some of the items in an exhibition staged last summer.

In order to show them in best space dimensions, I've ppsted them here (see below)

http://www.freewebs.com/snake43/ballymenamuseumexhibit.htm

I'm jealous! great displays. Nice to look at the pics but wish i had seen it for real. I like the little perspex holders for the postcards. Modern and unobtrusive. Are they yours or the museums? How can i get some? Well done for making the past look interesting and encouraging people to take an interest and learn.

The holders are the property of Museum bods ... they were cramped for space ... they could have (should have says I) said 'to hell with' all the health and safety nonsense and just packed the place. They went for the 'less is more' approach. Glad you liked it.

If John CarninyJ is about tonight ... I'm flabbergasted they didn't do the coal scuttle and the German entrenching tool!!!

Perhaps you could sneak one in!!? ;)

Really lovely photos Des.

Wonderful exhibits. Certainly as one caption says, every picture tells a story.

And they are lovely.

Susan.

Thanks Desmond for the site, I enjoyed a stroll around the virtual museum, and I also liked the link you gave with the newspaper. :)

Cheers

Shirley

Great pics and great links, too.

Des, can you tell me the name of the artist and title of one of the paintings I see?

When you click on the link "The Ulster Division" another link appears below a small pic of men in the wire. Who is the artist etc?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

The large painting is Beadles - the Charge of the Ulster Division.

The rather magnificent pencil sketch you can see in one of the photos is of Sgt . Major Henry and Rfn. Robert Quigg VC of 12th Royal Irish Rifles, the 'local' battalion.

As for the image of the men in the wire - you'll have to give me some forgiveness on that one! It is the generic image of men going over the top from Malin's film. I can categorically say they were NOT local ... but the image works as a 'teaser'.

Thanks all.

Tonight I will probably go back and caption the pics properly with pics of the relevant soldiers etc etc

'lo Des,

The image I'm talking about is on your site. From the main page there is a link "The Ulster Division" on the left. Clicking that brings up another link (which would take you to the denrobs Ulster Division history site). Above that link is this tiny thumbnail that I'm referring to:

post-16790-1183708863.jpg

Kind Regards,

SMJ

The large painting is Beadles - the Charge of the Ulster Division.

The rather magnificent pencil sketch you can see in one of the photos is of Sgt . Major Henry and Rfn. Robert Quigg VC of 12th Royal Irish Rifles, the 'local' battalion.

As for the image of the men in the wire - you'll have to give me some forgiveness on that one! It is the generic image of men going over the top from Malin's film. I can categorically say they were NOT local ... but the image works as a 'teaser'.

Thanks all.

Tonight I will probably go back and caption the pics properly with pics of the relevant soldiers etc etc

Got you now! The artist from memory was Nevinson ... worth a google ... he got into trouble once for a very powerful (described as 'brutish' by some Whitehall Mandarin) painting of a WW1 soldier.

Those are good pics Des - I'd forgotten how well the display cases looked! Glad I got to see this one in person!

Swizz

Great Pics Des, cheers for sharing them with us mate.

Glyn

Got you now! The artist from memory was Nevinson ... worth a google ... he got into trouble once for a very powerful (described as 'brutish' by some Whitehall Mandarin) painting of a WW1 soldier.

Ahhh OK, tyvm. Found it.

It's called "Paths of Glory". I think the brutal one you may be referring to is "The Doctor"

Now I've found him I'm completely captivated by his work. It's awesome. I'll post up a good link in "War Art".

Kind Regards,

SMJ