Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1srs hertfordshire regiment

kasha

I have seven pages [a4[ entitled " Extracts from the notes of Captain J.F Christie who served with the 1st Hertfordshire regiment from 21st March to 30th march 1916- the notes are written in a pocket book through which the bullet which wounded him passed"

The pages are also headed [strictly confidential- for the friends of the battalion only.

The diary has details of the battle and the deeds and deaths of a number of personel.

listed below are the names mentioned

phillips -carlisle- underhill - King norris gudgeon barber -Corniad [Padre]-grinling-clodd-stonnill-branchflower-clerk -gough-gibbons-allen-gold--perry -borrodale-freedman-hurd-broad -christie-eve-knee-church-clements=longthorne

[ most of those mentioned are officers,but if anyone is researching these names or the regiment feel free to contact me. Unfortunately although it describes the lay of the land and mentions french villages it does not actually say exactly where the events took place,although this will not be to difficult to discover i think.

I have also a letter from April 1918 to Sir Charles Church-- father of the above mentioned Church [who died ].and written by Sgt Tony Grinling, he talks about the doings at that time of the regiment and names in addition to some the above-- Heneman-gadyear-Fisher -Moore-la-Mare-Whitfield

hope this helps .

Hi Kasha

Fascinating and thanks for sharing the fact it exists with us. Is Captain Christie a relative by any chance?

I, for one, am very interested as I have a website about the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire regiments, so would be very interested to see them, learn more etc if that is suitable for you?

The Herts section is here if you wanted to look - http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/hertsrgt.html All the War Diaries etc are on there so finding out who some of the men mentioned are shoudl be easier hopefully.

I am on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk for your information

Brilliant! :D

Steve

Nice to see your site up and running again, much easier than looking through the actual diaries.

Kasha

Welcome to the forum. I am also fascinated by the information you have, please tell us more. I am slightly puzzled by the dates you give as the Herts weren't very busy at that time.

When you say '21st March to 30th march 1916' - do you mean 21st march in 1916 aswell. ?

Kind Regards

Glyn

Hi Kasha

Fascinating and thanks for sharing the fact it exists with us. Is Captain Christie a relative by any chance?

I, for one, am very interested as I have a website about the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire regiments, so would be very interested to see them, learn more etc if that is suitable for you?

The Herts section is here if you wanted to look - http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/hertsrgt.html All the War Diaries etc are on there so finding out who some of the men mentioned are shoudl be easier hopefully.

I am on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk for your information

Brilliant! :D

Hi Steve, no CPT Christie is not a relative,but i have links with " Church " who had he survived would have become Sir John Church. His brother inherited the title instead and became Sir Geoffrey Church, Baronet and high Sherriff of Hertfordshire. The letter to Sir Charles is informing him of his son's exemplary behaviour and the manner of his death. I will get the documents scanned and send you a copy of them-- might take a week because i have to get someone to do it for me. I will probably send them to the Imperial war museum afterwards, or if you have any suggestions as to a likely depository let me know. Regards Rosa

Steve

Nice to see your site up and running again, much easier than looking through the actual diaries.

Kasha

Welcome to the forum. I am also fascinated by the information you have, please tell us more. I am slightly puzzled by the dates you give as the Herts weren't very busy at that time.

When you say '21st March to 30th march 1916' - do you mean 21st march in 1916 aswell. ?

Kind Regards

Glyn

Hi Glyn " shayman" i have replied to Steve's letter -above- which gives more info. if you would like a copy of these papers also i will send them to you re scan, so i will have to have your email address.

The dates of the diaries are 16th march 1916 up to 21st March 1916. The letter to Sir Charles Church was written in April 1918. One thing that is mentioned in the diary is that " Our retirement was covered from a hill by a party commanded by a Major from the Notts and Derby regiment"-- help tp place the battle perhaps?

Hope this helps Regards Rosa

Lovely Rosa - look forward to it! Thanks very much indeed.