Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Antigua

empirebison

I am researching the life of my grandfather, Peter Necy (or Neacy), born 1877, a donkeyman in the Merchant Navy until he was lost at sea in Nov 1940 when his ship, Empire Bison was torpedoed.

On 20 May 1916 he signed on SS Antigua (No 115146). The ship was captured & sunk by a German submarine on 14 July 1916.

His date of discharge from the ship was 26 July 1916 (12 days after the sinking).

Can anyone out there tell me:

1) Where I can find more information about the sinking. Or better still, does anyone have any info on the incident?

2) Why is the discharge date given as 12 days after the sinking?

3) Are records available for seamen who served before 1916?

I would be grateful for any snippets of info. about any of the above.

Regards to all - Winchman

Winchman,

Antigua was sunk by the German submarine U 39 20 miles ExN Jidjelli, Algeria 36°57'N 6°11'E while on a voyage from La Goulette for Middlesbrough with a cargo of iron ore. The British version of what happened would be at Kew in ADM 137/4023 Enemy submarines: particulars of attacks on merchant vessels in Mediterranean 1916: July.

The German version would be in the war diary (KTB) of U 39. I have it on microfilm and can scan you a copy of the description of the sinking.

Best wishes,

Michael

Winchman,

Antigua was sunk by the German submarine U 39 20 miles ExN Jidjelli, Algeria 36°57'N 6°11'E while on a voyage from La Goulette for Middlesbrough with a cargo of iron ore. The British version of what happened would be at Kew in ADM 137/4023 Enemy submarines: particulars of attacks on merchant vessels in Mediterranean 1916: July.

The German version would be in the war diary (KTB) of U 39. I have it on microfilm and can scan you a copy of the description of the sinking.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

Thanks for that information.

I would be very grateful if you could scan me a copy of the German version of events.

Regards Winchman

Hello Winchman, welcome aboard.

On 14th July 1916 the SS Antigua. built 1903, 2,876 grt, was captured and blown up in 36.57N, 06.11E by U 39, 20 miles ExN from Jidjelli, Algeria, Mediterranean Sea. Carrying Iron ore from La Goulette to Middlesbrough and owned by Harland, G. B. & Co of West Hartlepool. No lives lost.

His discharge date of the 26th would be the date that the authorities accepted that the ship was lost.

Hope this helps.

David

Hello Winchman, welcome aboard.

On 14th July 1916 the SS Antigua. built 1903, 2,876 grt, was captured and blown up in 36.57N, 06.11E by U 39, 20 miles ExN from Jidjelli, Algeria, Mediterranean Sea. Carrying Iron ore from La Goulette to Middlesbrough and owned by Harland, G. B. & Co of West Hartlepool. No lives lost.

His discharge date of the 26th would be the date that the authorities accepted that the ship was lost.

Hope this helps.

David

David

Thanks for that. Glad to be aboard.

Regards

Winchman

• 16 years later...
On 05/07/2007 at 20:04, Michael Lowrey said:

Hello Michael, 

I believe that you may have been in contact with my Uncle Peter regarding our family tree, I am trying to complete the research now due to my uncle passing away a number of years ago. 

I understand that you may have a microfilm could you scan me a copy please. 

Winchman,

Best wishes,

Michael

Winchman,

Best wishes,

Michael

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Mark. Are you trying to post on this very old thread? With the exception of @Michael Lowrey, the other posters haven’t visited the forum for many years.