Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forgotten Voices of the Great War

mmbennett

Hi Matt,

I really enjoyed this book when i read it. I don't know of any other books that tell the story of the war solely using the words of the soldiers themselves. I feel this does lend a degree of objectivity, but experts would probably point to the 'selective memory' (if that's the right term?) of the contributers. It's certainly different.

Steve.

I enjoyed this book greatly. It is always refreshing to hear the story directly from the men involved, rather than through the medium of a historian or journalist.

...However (there just had to be one, didn' t there :P ) I wouldn't have found it half so enjoyable had I not already have read many other secondary works to provide the context and background.

A

A very enjoyable book,I always prefer books with first hand accounts,although as Ste has already mentioned,I think its probably best for the reader to have at least a basic knowledge of the war to get the best from this book.

I would have liked there to have been more in the 1918 section as I feel this was "skimmed" over,but this is still neverless a very enjoyable read.

I'am going to try and borrow the audio versions from my local library if they are available,it will be interesting to hear the actual voices of the contributors.

Stu.

I don't know of any other books that tell the story of the war solely using the words of the soldiers themselves.

I think that Lyn MacDonald's "1914 - 1918, Voices and Images of the Great War" did something similar, although it may have relied more on written accounts (diaries, letters, memoirs, etc.).

Dave.

Have just got to Battle of Neuve Chapelle page 74 hope the rest is as good. It would be nice if the book went past 1918 to see how thier lives had changed after being demobed.

Regards

Steve

I received a copy of one of the four CD's available of this book for Christmas. The one I was given covers the period between April 1915-June 1916, including Gallipoli, and contains 3 discs. They are worthwhile buying as it makes a great difference to actually hear the men speak of their experiences. However, I do have one niggle, as I did with the book, that there are lots of errors in identifying the units or formations in which the men served. For example, 14th (Light) Division being referred to as "14th Brigade" on the CD in relation to an account of the flamethrower attack they suffered at Hooge. Probably being pedantic I know, but there you go!!!

Hi chaps,

As regards Forgotten Voices on Audio, I have about a dozen or so official CD's containing samples from 'The First Year: August 1914-April 1915'.

If anyone would like one please let me know by emailing me off forum I guess with your address.

No charge!

Cheers

Ryan

• 6 months later...

I have 2 further signed copies (paperback) going free to entries on my website if anyone is interested.

No fee - No catch!

Cheers

Ryan

Guest AmericanDoughboy

The book "Forgotten Voices of the Great War" was a delightful read. However, I would really like to purchase a copy of the CD Interview set as well.

-Doughboy