Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital in Stirling

stickywicket

Hi

My grandad was wounded on his leg sometime after july 1917 whilst serving with the E. Yorks 8th Batt. he went to hospital in stirling. can anyone tell which hospital it is likely to be? Could it be the one at Dunblane?

Thanks

Cilla

I was waiting for someone who knows the town better than I do to answer but until they do, here is something to be going on with. Stirling is a sizable town, Cilla. It would have had its own hospital and quite possibly, as a garrison town of many years standing ( Stirling Castle), more than one. Dunblane hospital would have been called just that.

There was indeed a garrison hospital, staffed of course by RAMC, when I did my basic training in the Castle in the 50s. At the time of WW1 many hospitals were used for casualties and many buildings , not normally hospitals were pressed into service as such for the duration of the war. I was pointing out that if Cilla's Grandad was said to be in hospital in Stirling, it was unlikely to be Dunblane Hospital he was in. Incidentally Dunblane Hydro may well have been used in this manner but I have not seen any evidence pro or con.

Thank you for your replies. I had given up hope of receiving any response to this one! At least I have managed to rule out Dunblane but sounds as though I have my work cut out establishing the exact hospital. I have a picture of the ward my grandad was in but it is too big to post. It certainly looks like an mpressive hospital though.

Cilla

Thanks. I will see what my 'technical assistant' can do tomorrow!

I agree that there are no clues to its situation. There are a few to its purpose though. The windows and the lighting suggest a purpose built hospital ward rather than a church hall or school building adapted to the purpose. It is a large ward with indications of a veranda/corridor at the far end. I think this is probably The main hospital in Stirling. Several towns and cities in Scotland named their Infirmaries in a similar fashion, namely Dundee Royal Infirmary, Perth Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen etc. If there was such an establishment as Stirling Royal Infirmary, then this is probably it. That is what I would be looking for. I suggest a look at local newspapers etc for a start. Get in touch with Stirling municipal libraries.