Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charmes Military Cemetery, Essegney

Ian C

Hi

Does anyone know anything about this cemetery. I realise that a lot of the burials were brought here from other cemeteries after the war, but it still seems to have a very high percentage of RAF/RFC burials, 104 out of 215.

Regards

Ian C

Hi

Does anyone know anything about this cemetery. I realise that a lot of the burials were brought here from other cemeteries after the war, but it still seems to have a very high percentage of RAF/RFC burials, 104 out of 215.

Regards

Ian C

Ian,

Can't help but I'd love to know more, possibly a man from my village was attached to RFC, but is buried as a Lancs Fusiller even though his brigade was nowhere near!

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry712343

Jon

Should anyone be going to Charmes Mil Cem in the future, I wonder if I could ask for a photo please? Another RFC man

HOPCRAFT Peter. killed while returning from a night bombing op on 28th October 1918. " He attained a record of night bombing over the enemy's lines thirty nights in succession"

1-D-4

Thank you, Jacksmum

Hi Jon

I will let you know anything I find out.

The man I am researching, (Albert Timbrell), was one of 10 members of 115 Squadron killed on 08/11/05 in an accident, the work colleague that I am doing the research for has told me that family legend has it that he was killed when a bomb was dropped while loading up one of the heavy bombers. In view that it appears from CWGC that Albert is buried in a grave with 3 of his colleages, that may well be the case.

The strange thing at the moment, is that the details I have so far been able to find about 115 Sq, say that from 01/11/18 it was based at St. Inglevert, now the only St. Inglevert that I can find is near Calais! If the accident happened near Calais, then surely these ten men would not be buried at Charmes. There must be a sensible explanation, ie there must be or have been another St. Inglevert over near Charmes, but I am having to fight hard to ward off the conspiracy thories!

Regards

Ian C

• 2 years later...

Hi Ian,

Apologies for restarting an old posting. I've just come across this posting during a name search on the net whilst tracing my family tree.

I think that the name you are looking for is actually Alfred Reginald Timbrell - he was born in 1900 so would have been 18 years old on his death in 1918. He was my great uncle.

Details extracted from his local memorial in Nailsworth Gloucestershire are on the attached link.

http://www.glosgen.co.uk/warmem/naillsworthwm.pdf

I have Just joined GWF and would welcome all forms of help and guidance to learn as much as possilble about the short time Alfred was in France.

Regards

Andrew

• 9 years later...

Hi, 

I’ve put in the name Alfred Timbrell and have found this post, I don’t know if it will be checked as it was so long ago. The reason for this is that we have a framed photo of him in our house  and I have felt sorry for this unknown young man who died in the Great War (who we presumed lived here) and wanted to find out more about him. I have tried to find if there are any living relatives of his living near but haven’t found anyone so far. Please get in touch. 

Tor 

• 9 months later...