Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo's Needed - 20 Squadron RFC & RAF History

Testerchild2

Hi Everyone,

Hope this isn't in the wrong place.

For nearly nine years I have been working on a detailed WW1 day to day history of 20 squadron RFC & RAF which is now very close to completion.

I have a few pictures for illustrations of about 20 pilots/observers and some of FE2 aircraft. But I have almost no pictures of 20 Squadron’s Bristol Fighters and would also like as many more as possible of the men before submitting the Mss to a publisher.

I have tried the NA, IWM and RAF Museum but they have very few relevant photo's, so if there is anyone out there who could help me please get in touch so we can come to some kind of arrangement. Full accreditation will be given for any pictures used, and if anyone has any additional information about any of the men – perhaps an uncle or grandfather who served in 20 squadron – now is the time to get it included before I reach the cut-off point.

Hoping you can help….

Bob Sellwood

A pic,

21/5/1916 Ten Brielen,

Capt. JAMES and Lt AKED pow

claim by ace Lt. W. Frankl

post-7723-1183750995.jpg

Another pic

5/5/1917 Schaapbalie

2Lt BACON wia pow, 2 AM WORTHING kia

claim by Lt. Göttch, Jasta 8.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1183751122.jpg

Cnock,

Thank-you very much for these, I did not have them. Much appreciated. :)

The Gunners Dream,

BOULTON Nicholson Stuart: DOB 20.01.1899

Son of JP Boulton, Royston House, Westbury, Wiltshire

Was student at Clarence School, Weston Super Mare

2/Lt. RFC General List WEF 05.07.1917

Medically unfit GS & hospital 01.10.1917 to 17.01.1918, no further details given.

1 Flying School 12.08.1918: (I assume this was the end of his training, although the record does not make it

clear.)

(Above from RAF service record.)

First mention in 20 Squadron records is 20th September 1918, when he and Sgt Mitchell and others in the patrol were in a fight near St Quentin with 12 Fokker DVII's at 10.00 am. They were flying Bristol F2B No. E2493 and attacked a Fokker that flew across their front. It was reported to have crashed NE of St Quentin. As far as I have found, this was Boulton's only victory.

On 29th September 1918 Boulton was flying 'E2561' with Charles Henry Case as his observer in a patrol of nine Bristol Fighters near St Quentin. They engaged around 20 Fokker DVII's at about 1020 am. 'E2561' was shot down by F Altemeier of Jasta 24 (see the 'Jasta War Chronology' by Norman Franks et al) and both were killed. You already have the CWGC details so I won't repeat them here.

Hope it's of some help.

Bob

Bob,

Sent You a PM

Cnock

Cnock,

Thank-you very much for these, I did not have them. Much appreciated. :)

The Gunners Dream,

BOULTON Nicholson Stuart: DOB 20.01.1899

Son of JP Boulton, Royston House, Westbury, Wiltshire

Was student at Clarence School, Weston Super Mare

2/Lt. RFC General List WEF 05.07.1917

Medically unfit GS & hospital 01.10.1917 to 17.01.1918, no further details given.

1 Flying School 12.08.1918: (I assume this was the end of his training, although the record does not make it

clear.)

(Above from RAF service record.)

First mention in 20 Squadron records is 20th September 1918, when he and Sgt Mitchell and others in the patrol were in a fight near St Quentin with 12 Fokker DVII's at 10.00 am. They were flying Bristol F2B No. E2493 and attacked a Fokker that flew across their front. It was reported to have crashed NE of St Quentin. As far as I have found, this was Boulton's only victory.

On 29th September 1918 Boulton was flying 'E2561' with Charles Henry Case as his observer in a patrol of nine Bristol Fighters near St Quentin. They engaged around 20 Fokker DVII's at about 1020 am. 'E2561' was shot down by F Altemeier of Jasta 24 (see the 'Jasta War Chronology' by Norman Franks et al) and both were killed. You already have the CWGC details so I won't repeat them here.

Hope it's of some help.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. He's recorded as being an ace, see this link:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/boulton1.php

Someone, who is one of his relatives, asked me to do some digging on him, but I don't want to pass duff gen if he did not get these kills. What do you think?

Steve

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. He's recorded as being an ace, see this link:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/boulton1.php

Someone, who is one of his relatives, asked me to do some digging on him, but I don't want to pass duff gen if he did not get these kills. What do you think?

Steve

Steve,

Er,Hum...

Please see my PM to you. It contains the correct information rather than the accidental misinformation I sent you earlier...

I must be getting old... :wacko:

Bob

Several years ago I started work on a different project and thought'd publishing was going to be the hard bit have you tried upfront publishing simon potter 01733 311124. If you want to e mail me seperately willing to go over a big learning curve.