Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Asiago plateau...

swizz

Jimmy - no problem at all! I have just PMed you about this.

Squirrel - I'm afraid I didn't have time to get to where you had mentioned - the day we had intended to go there was terrible rain and thunderstorms so we went to the museum in Canove instead. We didn't get to San Sisto ridge until late in the afternoon and could hear the thunder rumbling in the distance! I took some pictures of the ridge but from what I understand we were in the section defended by Sherwood Foresters. If you look carefully you can see the line of boulders running from left to right in this picture:

post-4676-1187617991.jpg

This picture shows some barbed wire apparently still fixed in position. This was in front of what seemed to be the front line.

post-4676-1187618421.jpg

This picture shows some barbed wire apparently still fixed in position. This was in front of what seemed to be the front line.

I would just so love to visit the Asaigio but it hasn't happened yet!

I was in Riva at the north end of Lake Garda in September 2005 and visited the WWI Museum in Rovereto, Trento which was fantastic.

Canove was just a bit too far away though. Trouble is that is where I would really love to visit as my grandfather's battalion raided the village in August 1918.

If you took any photos in the village I would love to see them.

Hi Karl

No I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of Canove. The museum there is small but it has some good artefacts. The only thing I thought about it was that the labelling of a lot of the exhibits left a bit to be desired (even in Italian) and there didn't seem to be any pattern to how they were displayed.

We actually stayed in Rovereto and spent a day around there. The museum there wasn't bad at all - heaven for artillery enthusiasts!

Swizz

Swizz,

thanks for the photographs. Excellent stuff and much appreciated.

Hi Karl

No I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of Canove. The museum there is small but it has some good artefacts. The only thing I thought about it was that the labelling of a lot of the exhibits left a bit to be desired (even in Italian) and there didn't seem to be any pattern to how they were displayed.

We actually stayed in Rovereto and spent a day around there. The museum there wasn't bad at all - heaven for artillery enthusiasts!

Swizz

Yes they sure like their artillery!

I didn't even know they had a Museum there - just found out about it by chance when we got there. Highlight was getting my picture taken by the Austrian 305mm Howitzer outside - never ever tought I would get to set eyes on one of those monsters.

Swizz,

Glad you had a good trip - looks like the weather was fine too.

Thanks very much for the photo - fantastic!

Dave

P.S. Will PM you, when I work out how. Bring back the abacqus and pigeon post.....