Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malta?

uxbull

Hi,

off to Malta next week, primarily to look at the Air Defence of the island in WW2.

Any of the pals advise me if there is anything of WW1 interest on the island?

Cheers

uxbull

You want to PM Wayne Saillard as he lives in Malta perhaps he can help.

John

Hello uxbull !

Apart from the cemeteries, a number of the old hospitals used for the Gallipoli and Salonika casualties are still around - as is the AUSTRALIA HALL which was built as a recreation hall for these men.

While over here, I recommend you visit FORT RINELLA and see the 100-ton Armstrong cannon. There are only two left in the world today. There are also many other fortifications, etc. from the 16th century onwards that may be of some interest. You will probably want to visit the MALTA AVIATION MUSEUM (at Ta' Qali), THE WAR MUSEUM (in Valletta), and the WAR ROOMS (in Valletta).

Please feel free to pm me if you would like any further information - or perhaps meet up.

Regards

Wayne

Uxbull,

Its one of my (many) ambitions to walk the 'Victoria Lines' which is a defensive wall built across the island in the late 1800's (Some by my Grandfather!). Managed to get an interesting book on it, but perhaps Wayne may know more about it.

Also some great pre-historic sites worth a visit if you have time, also the local Bus service is good fun!

Have a great trip, dont forget to post your pictures on your return please?

Regards,

Scottie.

Ladies and Gents,

thanks for the advice, we went last year and had a very interesting trip.

Our plans for next week include:

Lscaris War Rooms Valletta

War Museum

Mosta Dome

The RAF Memorial in Valletta

Mdina (The old RAF Officers Mess, cant remember the name of the hotel)

Mgarr Tunnels

Ta' Quali

Gozo Ferry

Wayne, whereabouts is Australia Hall?

uxbull,

Australia Hall is located in the area known as Pembroke - just out from St Julian's along the coast road to St Paul's Bay. The hotel in Mdina you are referring to was the Xara Palace. You might be interested to know that the Ponte de Vue Hotel in Rabat, at the opposite end of the main Mdina car park, was also used as a mess. In fact, on one occasion it was hit and a number of servicemen were killed.

The Commonwealth Air Forces Memorial (as it is more commonly known), is located in Floriana. You might find the MALTA AT WAR museum in Vittoriosa (Brigu), with its air-raid shelters, to be quite interesting. As mentioned before, just pm me if you would like further information. It will be a pleasure to help out.

Regards

Wayne

Sadly the Opera House is no longer standing. It was there in 1915 that officers of the RND attended a performance of Puccini's "Tosca" in the course of a brief stopover on their way to Gallipoli. It was the last theatrical performance that a number of them would ever attend - amongst them Rupert Brook.

One well know RND historian took his wife on holiday to Malta. She was a little wary as she had been off to a number of unlikely places on holiday only to find that "the RND" had been there. Her husband made the mistake on the first day in Malta of posing her for a photograph sat beside the harbour with the words "can you just move to the side so I can see where the Grantully Castle was moored"/

I tried very hard for years to track down any reference to the sinking of the Cameronia on 15 April 1917. Survivors went to Malta. The museum had no records and other groups couldn't help either. I haven't searched the press yet but if you see anything I'd love to hear of it. Where would 'wounded' men have gone from that sinking for eg.?

Thanks

Ps my grandfather spoke of a church lined with bones and skulls - does it still exist?

Martin,

Part of the old Royal Opera House in Valletta still stands and is currently in use for open air performances. Many people would like to see it rebuilt according to its original design rather than being left as it is.

Patrick,

I am afraid I cannot help with regards which particular hospital the casualties would have been sent to. The Chapel of Bones (in Valletta) was another victim of the Second World War. However, part of the foundations can still be seen.

Regards

Wayne

Thanks Wayne

I'll look it up. Is that it's official name?

Patrick

Patrick,

That is the name it was known by. It was located at the end of Valletta - opposite the current entrance to the MALTA EXPERIENCE multivison show. Here is a First World War period photograph to show you what it was like. If you give me a bit of time, I will go into town later on and take a photo of the remains.

Regards

Wayne

Thanks Wayne

I think this photo is excellent - a follow up would be nice but not urgent

So this is what granddad meant!

Patrick