Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repatriation and Records

sjustice

'lo All,

Can anyone enlighten me as to precisely how casualty evacuations were effected from F&F to England and what criteria were used in deciding where casualties would go in the UK? I'm not thinking of the route from RAP/ADS/FA/CCS etc but the actual shipping from F&F Base Hospital - Dock to Dock - Hospital at home.

I am thinking of an example of my man Pte. Oram TF; someone who spent two weeks in France after being wounded - between 13th and 25th October 1916 - and then being transported to the UK on 26th October 1916.

How was it decided what ship he went on and the route/destination of his onward journey in England/UK?

Are there seperate records of casualty lists on board ship? Do we know what ships sailed on that day? What was the frequency of evacuation sailings at that time?

:ph34r:

Kind Regards,

SMJ

*Bump*

I'll try one bump to see if anyone can shed light on any of these points or direct me to resources regarding them.

SMJ

The records you require to ascertain this no longer exist. The best you can hope for is some mention in the Medical Official History, which you will find at IWM or British Library.