Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For signals and wireless

Guest Davidpike

Guest Davidpike

I recently obtained a copy of my grandfather's sea service record, and wonder if someone can help me interpret the detail on it. The detail is as follows:

Royal Navy ‘Sea Service’ record: ADM 339/1; image ref. 2194

David John Jones (dob 7.11.1897)

18.11.1915: joined Royal Naval Division as Ordinary Seaman (service number: Wales Z / 2526);

Address given as 3, Llewelyn Terrace, Llwynypia; religion as Wesleyan; occupation as coal washerman; not able to swim; father Evan Jones; height 5’6â€; chest 37†/ 35â€; complexion fair; hair: brown; eyes: blue; no marks, wounds or scars;

notes: ‘for signals and wireless’

18.11.1915: attached to 5th Battalion Royal Naval Division (1718)

29.2.1916: drafted from Misc. Batt. Depot, (557FT) to Portsmouth

18.2.1916: promoted Able Seaman

13.3.1916: enrolment forms sent to AG9

1.3.1919: WG43946 to AG9b

My inexperienced interpretation of this is that he served throughout the entire war in Portsmouth where he was engaged in signals and wireless work. Is this interpretation correct? What might that work have actually entailed? Finally, if this is the case, where in Portsmouth might he have been based? Any other comments or insights invited, including any comment on the significance of any of the serial numbers on the form!

Many thanks

David Edward Pike

Cardiff

I recently obtained a copy of my grandfather's sea service record, and wonder if someone can help me interpret the detail on it. The detail is as follows:

Royal Navy ‘Sea Service’ record: ADM 339/1; image ref. 2194

David John Jones (dob 7.11.1897)

18.11.1915: joined Royal Naval Division as Ordinary Seaman (service number: Wales Z / 2526);

Address given as 3, Llewelyn Terrace, Llwynypia; religion as Wesleyan; occupation as coal washerman; not able to swim; father Evan Jones; height 5’6â€; chest 37†/ 35â€; complexion fair; hair: brown; eyes: blue; no marks, wounds or scars;

notes: ‘for signals and wireless’

18.11.1915: attached to 5th Battalion Royal Naval Division (1718) 5th Battalion at Crystal Palace for initial training. 1718 probably his Ship's Book (Pay) Number.

29.2.1916: drafted from Misc. Batt. Depot, (557FT) to Portsmouth Miscellaneous Battalion at Crystal Palace awaiting draft.

18.2.1916: promoted Able Seaman

13.3.1916: enrolment forms sent to AG9

1.3.1919: WG43946 to AG9b This is a form sent to the Accountant General Branch 9 (AG9) about his War Gratuity (WG)

My inexperienced interpretation of this is that he served throughout the entire war in Portsmouth where he was engaged in signals and wireless work. Is this interpretation correct? What might that work have actually entailed? Finally, if this is the case, where in Portsmouth might he have been based? Any other comments or insights invited, including any comment on the significance of any of the serial numbers on the form!

Many thanks

David Edward Pike

Cardiff

See notes in bold above. A Wales Division RNVR volunteer, he never joined the RND, being diverted at Crystal Palace to sea service. You will need to get hold of his full RNVR record from Kew (ADM377) to ascertain exactly what he did between Feb 1916 and demob. Chances are he went to sea sending signals by wireless or visual methods.

You have his service card for the Royal Naval Division, but by the time he enlisted they were coming to the end of their deployment in Gallipoli and he was not sent out to them. As Horatio2 says Jones was allocated to serve at sea and there is a separate service register on microfilm at Kew. He joined when he was 18 so could be sent to sea as soon as he was trained.

Merseyside Maritime Museum 'hold Radio Officers examination results from 1910 to 1952, but no collection of examination papers or certificates.' All wireless opeators using Marconi equipment had to sit an exam.

Guest Davidpike

Many thanks for the advice given here. There's clearly still clearly plenty more to do, and another visit to Kew seems the next step! The advice given tends not to contradict the family tradition that my grandfather was based at Sacpa Flow and worked on destroyers. His ship was supposedly torpedoed at one point. Hopefuly the RNVR records will throw light on this.