Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Previous Military Service?

Willywombat

Flight Cadet William Douglas Henderson is on the school memorial I am researching. He died in a flying accident on 28/11/18, aged 29, whilst training at Montrose.

I would imagine that most men of his age would have volunteered, or been conscripted, long before 1918 and I was wondering if he had any previous military service and how I could go about finding out about it.

I thought about the medal index cards, but there are quite a few W D Hendersons and I'm not sure if the card of a man who transferred to the RAF would be with the Army ones, or elsewhere. Does anyone know?

Does his rank of Flight Cadet give any clue as to his previous military service? I was wondering that if he had been an officer prior to transferring to the RAF, perhaps he would have retained his army rank (or been given an equivalent) whilst in training?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Bob.

PS - since posting, I have found him on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial, but still as a Flt Cdt, with no further information. I know he was in Canada in 1912.

He may have a record in AIR 76 (at Kew on microfilm), which is fortunately in alphabetical order, but these are very sparse. To access his RAF service record you need his service number.

The MICs are for army awards and do not always pick up transfers.

A bit of guesswork - but wonder if this is him

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc006/389024a.gif (front of attestation)

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc006/389024b.gif (back of attestation)

From CWGC your man was buried in Gloucester Old Cemetery - a fair way from Montrose (presume Scotland) - so he probably had a connection with that area

On the 1901 census there is a 12 year old Douglas Henderson (b Gloucester) living at Hucclecote, Gloucestershire in a family that included 10 year old Margaret

The 1891 census shows the family living in Gloucester (William is William D on this one)

His birth seems to have been registered in Gloucester in 1st qtr of 1889

The records linked above show born Gloucester (but 8th Dec 1889)?? and next of kin sister - Margaret

Not sure - but looks like its possible??

Cheers

Sue

From the Passenger Lists on Find My Past - I wonder if this is William and his sister heading out to Canada??

Though they were going to different ports and looking at the actual transcript - he was in 2nd class and she was in 3rd

Name: Mr Wm D HENDERSON

Date of departure: 17 May 1911

Port of departure: Bristol

Passenger destination port: Montreal, Canada

Passenger destination: Montreal, Canada

Marital Status: Single

Sex: Male

Passenger recorded on: Page 14 of 26

Click here to view image

The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: -

Margaret HENDERSON Page 1 of 26 View transcript

Ship:ROYAL GEORGE

Official Number:125643

Master's name:James Harrison

Steamship Line:Royal Line Canadian Northern Steamships Limited

Where bound:Montreal, Canada

Square feet:10054

Registered tonnage:5685

Passengers on voyage:881

Name: Margaret HENDERSON

Date of departure: 17 May 1911

Port of departure: Bristol

Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada

Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada

Marital Status: Single

Sex: Female

Cheers

Sue

If that is your man - looks like he was with the 4th Divisional Ammunition Sub-Park of the CEF - they have their war diary online at

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...mp;r=14&f=G

Lots of individual pages to read though!!

Seems as though they were involved with transporting ammunition (I think) so his trade or calling - auto-mechanic could fit in well

Cheers

Sue

ive a trio and plaque to a guy called f e k sneddon flight cadet died on his first solo flight medals are to city of london yeomanry

nat archives kew have a fair bit on accidents (mind u not mine ) all sorts of guys being killed while the armourer loads the guns etc

Well.... I'm stunned!

Thanks so much to all of you, especially Sue, for all the trouble you've gone to on my behalf. William Henderson is indeed a Hucclecote man and did have a sister, Magaret, so it looks as though you've scored a hit there. I am not at all familiar with the Canadian records and know absolutely nothing about passenger lists and you've saved me no end of headaches.

A BIG thankyou!!

Bob.