Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli warships. Anyone recognise these?

bierlijn

Hi - I have some blurry snaps taken by my Grandfather on the way to Gallipoli and in Mudros and Trebuki Bays. Get these two, and I can post 8 or so more.

Hugh

post-19252-1183405345.jpg

post-19252-1183405417.jpg

Have to disagree with Mick about the top photo. The funnel ararngement is wrong for it to be Triumph. Jane's notes that the Formidable, London, and Queen classes have "fore funnel close to foremast and smaller than after" which is what we see here. The 12pdr gun battery amidship on the upper deck is enclosed, so HMS Queen and her sistership Prince of Wales can be excluded.

The distinction between the Formidable and London classes involves whether there's a row of scuttles low near the bow and the specifics of the turrets, neither of which are very clear in the photo.

Best wishes,

Michael

All the 'contestants' are very similar. I would go for CANOPUS, if only for the reason that she was anchored in Trebuki Bay, Skyros, with the RND transports in April 1915 just before the landings.

It won't help much but there is a second picture of the Canopus class ship, alongside HMS Weymouth and a transport. In both pictures the funnels of the Canopus class appear to be campflage painted. Is it a coincidence that HMS Weymouth was also painted so?

As this all went so well, two more ships coming up in a separate topic. ..

Hugh

post-19252-1183459354.jpg

It won't help much but there is a second picture of the Canopus class ship, alongside HMS Weymouth and a transport. In both pictures the funnels of the Canopus class appear to be campflage painted. Is it a coincidence that HMS Weymouth was also painted so?

As this all went so well, two more ships coming up in a separate topic. ..

Hugh

Are you sure that this is the WEYMOUTH? Her sister DARTMOUTH was with CANOPUS at Trbuki but I think WEYMOUTH was off East Africa at the time.

Whoops! I'll stick to asking the questions in future!

If you happen to own the book "Images of Gallipoli" , PA Pedersen, OUP Melbourne 1988, there is a picture of this ship on P.43 - "The light cruiser HMS Weymouth. This photograph is among the first of a British Warship in naval camoflage."

Hugh

According to my notes from "British Battleships 1889-1904" R.A. Burt the Canopus, Irresistable, Vengence, Implacable, and Agamennon were painted in multi-color camo schemes, as was the Inflexible based on some other notes I have from a book on the "Invinible class Battlecrruisers.